Do Make Say Think - New Music Advice
Dec 27, 2005 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DLeeWebb

Headphoneus Supremus
I have never heard Do Make Say Think and I am seeking advice from the experts. I like much that Godspeed You Black Emperor and A Silver Mt. Zion have produced. Is Do Make Say Think more of the same, or is their sound different in some way. If you are familiar with Do Make Say Think and were going to suggest one album to buy for a newbie to get the best idea of what this band is about; which album would it be?
confused.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 7
DMST are a fantastic band. Compared to GY!BE... there's not a lot of similarity aside from the fact that there's no singing. Do Make are almost jazzy (with two drummers), while at the same time more guitar driven. With dubby bass lines. That's the best I can do.

& Yet & Yet and/or Winter Hymn, Country Hymn, Secret Hymn are your best bets for a starting point. Just today I bought the latter on vinyl (even though I have the CD already) at a Boxing Day sale, so that should tell you how much I like them.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 7
I only have the one that s m @ likes, the Winter Hymn, Country Hymn, Secret Hymn. Really nice, although I honestly haven't listened to it a ton. Funny, we were just talking about Rachel's in that other thread Doug, and presto, here they are again ...

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...692#post706692
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I like both of the other things mentioned in the linked post more than DMST, but still good stuff, and they're all different sounds. I'm just not quite as much into those long suites and like I said, just haven't listened to it enough.

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 7
I like DMST quite a bit. They are actually quite different from Godspeed YBE! and side projects, not as climax driven and more a band instead of an orchestra. & Yet & Yet is a good place to start. Also, listen to some samples, for example at amazon.co, to get a bit of an idea what DMST is all about.

Jan 2, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 7
I think & Yet & Yet is a good starter too.

If you like DMST and you haven't heard Tortoise, please make sure you do so
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 7
alot of suggestions for & yet & yet. it's really a great album for sitting around. not as "dark" like godspeed, more jazzy like the chicago band colossal...maybe with some joan of ark too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back