do lower end models accurately reflect sound signature?
Feb 17, 2009 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

joincoolkidclub

100+ Head-Fier
Well, the title really says it all:

If one was interested in comparing Westone 3, triple.fi 10, SE530, etc could not audition them, would the UM1, super.fi 3, E2C/E4C accurately reflect the sound signature exemplified in higher end models?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter,
NICK

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes, many times this is the case...

The top of the line IEM in a series is typically designed to appeal to the mass markets preferred sound signature (warm, with heavy bass).

The middle of the series, many times is more accurate in spectrum reproduction (ex. Shure se310, Sennheiser IE7, Westone UM1)

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 14
in the case of the UE metro.fi series vs the higher end super.fi or triple.fi, definitely not.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 14
design goals for each model will be different just like car models. A particular set of headphones will be designed to satisfy a specific market need, which either "high-" or "low-end" might feature an accurate sound reproduction or it might not.

I think slightly more high-end headphones designed to accurately reproduce sound would be available than low-end headphones, simply because with the higher project budget, a more neutral frequency response can be achieved through more rigorous testing.

This may or may not be the case, but I think you'd find more truly accurate headphones in the higher price range

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 14
PS, I may have answered a question that wasn't asked.
beyersmile.png

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 14
Panasonics line up of the RP-HJE300, RP-HJE550/500, and RP-HJE900 all sound nothing alike. The 300 sound very bassy and muddy compared to the 900. Id say that judging the line up based on the low end model doesn't necessarily give you a good impression of what there higher caliber gear sounds like its always best to audition them for yourself.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, many times this is the case...

The top of the line IEM in a series is typically designed to appeal to the mass markets preferred sound signature (warm, with heavy bass).

The middle of the series, many times is more accurate in spectrum reproduction (ex. Shure se310, Sennheiser IE7, Westone UM1)

Not really the case. Especially the UM1s fall far from the sound of the W3s. I agree that there is a "house"-sound to some extent, but you cannot say the less expensive models have a more faithful frequency response. For instance the UM1s are severely rolled off in both ends of the spectrum, which is not the case with the W3s.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 14
I think that it does, but only to a certain extent. WHen you are listening to a lower end model (sub 200 price range), you are skimping on some of the things that the higher end models include.

IMO, there are a handful of GREAT IEMs and cans for under 200 (Phonak, Etymotic, Yuin) that preform well and do some things better than the "top brands".

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #14 of 14
Yeah- I guess when you move from the realm of single drivers to doubles and triples, there's a whole new range of sound and space available.

Well, I guess I'll just buy high and return what I don't like until I find what I'm looking for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back