do KSC-75s need burn in?
Feb 26, 2005 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rob1031

100+ Head-Fier
they sound awesome right now, but seems a BIT muddy on some tracks (dream theater! my favourite!
mad.gif
) . i think its the bass thats a bit muddy...

but my zen touch seems a bit muddy thru my A900s too.. just a BIT. well my a bit might be quite a bit for head fi and it annoys me sometimes. i know this might be a thread for portable but maybe i could ask here too. its 320 BVBR eac/lame so... -
frown.gif
.. shouldnt be the files!

any ideas on this mud? maybe the zen needs burinnig in? (only about 50-60 hrs now)

Feb 26, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 8
I don't think my ksc75s really changed much through burning in. They might have, but what I thought was a change with burning in was more likely my ears. I get the same effect by listening to my e2cs for a while and immediately switching to the ksc75s. I don't like it at first, but after about 10 minutes they sound much better. Never hurts to try though

Feb 26, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 8
When I A/B'd my well used/burned 75 with my new 50, the 50 clearly had a higher resonant peak in the bass. So IMHO burning in does alter bass response and extends it just a little lower IMHO.

Muddiness is a characteristic of the koss 60 ohm line. IMHO thats where they fall short of the SR60. They lack that tight punch and focus of more expensive cans.

IMHO an amp + 100 ohm adapter cleans them up a little. Tames the midbass bloat just a little.

Garrett

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 8
well i don't know if it is because of burn in or because they use different drivers, but i have an old porta-pro and a new KSC-75. i thought they should sound equal but they don't. i even mounted the ksc-75 drivers on a porta-pro head-band to see if the sound difference was only because of the ear-pressure. but they still sound different from my porta-pros. the porta pros have a deeper and louder bass and some recessed mids and treble. the ksc-75 drivers sound cleaner and more natural. i tried to burn them in during 2 nights, but they still sound different from the porta-pros. maybe it is because of the different drivers, which mostly were claimed to sound equal to porta-pros, i cannot say...

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by oluv
well i don't know if it is because of burn in or because they use different drivers, but i have an old porta-pro and a new KSC-75. i thought they should sound equal but they don't. i even mounted the ksc-75 drivers on a porta-pro head-band to see if the sound difference was only because of the ear-pressure. but they still sound different from my porta-pros. the porta pros have a deeper and louder bass and some recessed mids and treble. the ksc-75 drivers sound cleaner and more natural. i tried to burn them in during 2 nights, but they still sound different from the porta-pros. maybe it is because of the different drivers, which mostly were claimed to sound equal to porta-pros, i cannot say...

Yeah the driver material is certainly different. The KSC has a titanium coating. The porta and 35 does not. Most (myself included) can not hear a *significant* difference, but there certainly those who can.

I made my own 100 ohm adapter from radio shack parts. Tames the midbass bloat and midrange peak just a little.

Garrett

Feb 26, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Do you guys experience that when you wear the 75s for the first time of the day there's a rattle in either or both phones. The low end (which I pump up pretty high
basshead.gif
) triggers it. After a while they eventually "relax" and the rattle goes away. Is this a normal occurance or are my cans faulty?

Feb 26, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 8
the koss 60ohm series do require about 20 hours of burn in . the mids become bloomier and the bass well becomes fat.

Jmmmmmm: I think you have a bad pair of cans.

Note: Koss portable series cans sound considerbly better if you position them a little below and flush over the rear edge of your ears.
They sound more airy and deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back