Do Jriver effects (Volume, crossfeed) negativly impact sound quality?
Jul 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

RoundRound

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm using Jriver connected to a Chord Hugo and then a pair of HD700

My understanding is that because JRivers' DSP effects are 'in the digital domain' they don't negatively impact sound quality, even is something like volume normalization makes the music sound quieter and so I need to increase the volume on the Hugo - which *in theory* should lower sound quality?

Please advise, thanks!

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 3
  Hello,
I'm using Jriver connected to a Chord Hugo and then a pair of HD700

My understanding is that because JRivers' DSP effects are 'in the digital domain' they don't negatively impact sound quality, even is something like volume normalization makes the music sound quieter and so I need to increase the volume on the Hugo - which *in theory* should lower sound quality?

Please advise, thanks!

As for the JRiver digital volume control - if used in moderation it should have no effect on the quality of the sound. I use it all the time set to -8db as I find it gives me better control on my amp volume control (which is analog). Even with the digital volume control engaged (internal) you will still find that little blue light at the top signifying bit perfect sound. Now if you are adding dsp that certainly can effect the sound either positive or negative depending on your choices. As for volume control I would not worry unless you are dropping the volume more than 10db. Some say -15db is also safe and undetectable. You can jump to this link if you want the full explanation:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back