Do IEMs typically sound better than full-sized headphones at similar price ranges?
Jan 12, 2013 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pro1137

500+ Head-Fier
I've seen some people saying IEMs sound better, and some saying they are almost always inferior.

I, personally, feel that IEMs, do normally sound better than full sized headphones in the same price range.

When I compare my Brainwavz R1 ($35) to my Monoprice MHP-839 ($30, and they're considered to be some of the best budget cans out there), I always feel that the R1 comes out on top in generally everything. Clarity, mids, soundstage, bass control, and isolation all sound much better on them. 

What do you people think? I'd like to get some more opinions on this topic.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 4
I think overall, sure, IEMs can sound better, but soundstage is the one area where you're not going to beat a full sized headphone.  Maybe in your particular matchup the IEM wins, but in general, I seem to favor the full sized headphones for soundstage.  Tho to be fair that's one of my last priorities when it comes to a headphone.  Which is why I have a few of each!

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 4
Hard to beat todays iems, seems like they are getting better and better. I don't think they are as "luxurious" as cans, but thats just me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 4
To me, personally after trying only a few IEM(XBA-4, UE900 & IE800) & some full-size headphones, I find most full-size has better soundstage but less isolation. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back