Do IEMs have sound leakage? does it differ between IEMs?
Feb 12, 2023 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FuzzyEars357

New Head-Fier
i was wondering since i will be buying a midtier pair (100-200usd) for both gym use and for using while my SO is sleeping. and she is VERY sensitive. so i really need 0 sound leakage, if that's even a thing.

Feb 12, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 3
i was wondering since i will be buying a midtier pair (100-200usd) for both gym use and for using while my SO is sleeping. and she is VERY sensitive. so i really need 0 sound leakage, if that's even a thing.
Had to confirm it myself. Assuming they form a seal in your ear, no sound could be heard. Music could be quietly heard when they aren't in your ears while playing deafeningly loud music. In your case, you won't have any issue.

Some IEMs vary but like 99% won't leak noise. The ones that will are open-backs like the Tanchjim Tanya. Maybe the amount of vents could contribute to sound leakage but they are usually associated with pressure build-up relief.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 3

Generally, vented IEMs or open backed ones might leak more sound than a non-vented or closed backed one.

It also depends on the volume levels you play at, and the eartips. Generally, foam tips give better isolation that silicone ones. Also, custom IEMs tend to give better passive isolation than universal ones, though you have some universal IEMs like the Etymotic series which can give almost 30 dB passive isolation (they may be uncomfortable though, due to the deep insertion, so YMMV).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back