Do IEM's benefit from a Amp?
Dec 5, 2011 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Great Sound

Head-Fier
Well do they?(like in with a portable amp and a decent source of course)
I can imagine it being helpfull for 40mm> drivers in full size headphones being they are harder to drive.
Thanks

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 14
I have Westone UM3Xs, and was nonplussed about the difference between them and the Sennheiser PMX200s they replaced. Then I got an amp to see whether there was a difference. There was, and I won't be going back to non-amped if I can help it. Much more "involving", with much more "support" across the sound range.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 14
it would definitely sound better than an amp, but the question is whether it is worth it. iems don't scale as well as headphones when amped, so it is not necessary, but if u want to pursue the best sound outta of ur iem by all means get an amp. i still feel a good dac is more important though, especially with iems.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 14
I am a bit new here. I understand what an amp does and what a DAC is supposed to do, but what exactly is the difference/benefits of just doing DAC?

Quote:
it would definitely sound better than an amp, but the question is whether it is worth it. iems don't scale as well as headphones when amped, so it is not necessary, but if u want to pursue the best sound outta of ur iem by all means get an amp. i still feel a good dac is more important though, especially with iems.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I am a bit new here. I understand what an amp does and what a DAC is supposed to do, but what exactly is the difference/benefits of just doing DAC?

Dac would be taking a digital signal from your pc and converts it into analogue so your headphones can use the signal. The reason for this is if you are unhappy with the sound coming out of the sound card of your computer.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Dac would be taking a digital signal from your pc and converts it into analogue so your headphones can use the signal. The reason for this is if you are unhappy with the sound coming out of the sound card of your computer.

And if I'm not mistaken an IEM requires a good DAC/sound card with a high SNR because because the IEM's are so easy to drive they are prone to hissing/interference right?

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 14
Yes they are prone to hissing out of a sound card.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 14
I would say it's very dependent on what IEM you got.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
i'm not a pro/true audiophile, and i can tell you that they certainly do. the soundstage and bass, at least to my ears, are noticeably improved.. even with just my govibe v5.

Not a "pro" audiophile?I really hate the dark undertone the word "audiophile" has.You dont have to be rich and crazy spending thousands of dollars on Uber ultra mega counterspiral magnatic ultra plannar derp cables,in fact these people are less "audiophile" that true "audiophiles"because deep in their hearts they know it doesnt make ANY difference at all.A true audiohpile will always care about the sound moar then their status and the OMG so cool-ness of their equippement!
A "audiophile" just likes to enjoy music like its meant to be played.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 14
Anyways to be more helpful, IEMs benefit from Amping in various ways besides power delivery. Some of them are,

lower output impedance to IEM = less messed up frequency response
More power to the IEM, because some DAP amps can't deliver enough power, they clip.
lower noise floor/SNR (more true when using Line Out Device) so that you won't hear those nasty hissing.
lower distortion(intermodulation/harmonic), because you are using digital instead of analog controls(inter modulation) and bypassing what maybe a crappy amp. (apply's to LOD)

But if you already have a good player, adding a amp to it may mess things up, so buy with caution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back