Do I really need to change the tubes on X-Can v2?
Nov 25, 2003 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
I am going to have the X-Can modified, and one of those modifications was to change the tubes. Some people seem to think the stock tubes are awful, but I have to say that I like the X-Cans tonality with the CD3000 as is. I am worried about taming down the sound too much by changing tubes, and I am wondering whether the stock tubes really are that bad? Sure I can see the improvement if one really wishes to seek for a more "valve" like sound, as the stock tubes do not sound too much like valve, maybe a hint of it.

So if the tubes really are that bad, what can I get to replace them that will retain more or less similar tonality to the stock tubes?

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't know about having the exact tonality.. Both different tubes that I have tried produced much more bass. Though the Tesla was clearly more veiled than the stock tube.
Somehow when I first got the amp it sounded very good. (Well, no h-amps before..) But after I upgraded the caps I didn't anymore think that the stock tubes had enough bass. All in all the tubes don't make a night and day difference, but distinct none the less.

*I'm somewhat inclined to upgrade the whole amp though.. Mine runs maybe a little too warm and my ps might produces too much strain on the tubes and one of them, I think, has started to hiss.. So, I'm not too sure how long they are going to last. Besides Pinkie likes the Chiarra so much more than X-Can, so I too want to try some decent SS.. But that is just me.. (and head-fi-ism..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 9
The stock tubes were very "bright" and somewhat "thin" to my ears. The Tesla JJ are a reasonably priced alternative.
But I agree, if you like the sound, stick with it for a while at least... The music you listen to makes a big difference to the equipment that sounds best, I think.

Dec 8, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 9
These are a higher quality Sovtek tube.The take about three days to break in. I find them much more musical than tha stock
Jan Philips tube.IMHO.

Duane Upshaw
600smile.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 9
You could always try ventilating the V2, to reduce the heat build-up inside. Things will be a lot more pleasant for all the various bits and pieces if there's a 'chimney' or two for all that valve heat to escape through.

My newly modified X-Can v2 has this mod. See pic:

John

Dec 8, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi John,

I no longer have the v2 anyway, I sold it for profit and went for the v3 instead. Hopefully the v3 will not overheat and die in a few years
rolleyes.gif

Dec 9, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by dudeupsh
These are a higher quality Sovtek tube.The take about three days to break in. I find them much more musical than tha stock
Jan Philips tube.IMHO.

Duane Upshaw
600smile.gif

Are the Electroharmonix and Sovtek make at the same factories? I didn't think so, but....

Say, does the Xcan-V3 come with the same tube complement?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back