Do I really need an amp?
May 4, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
O_O you know I actually fully agree with that list

What!?

Jeez, I must have stumbled onto some vast universal truth or something...

May 4, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
IMO, a bigger mistake is not side-grading before you upgrade. $100 will buy you a decent headphone from every major brand and let you see all the different sonic personalities available

One other point, changing headphones will definitely give you more of a change in sound signature than adding an amp, especially an entry level amp with an entry level headphone. However, it does not necessarily buy you better sound quality. It depends on what you're looking for better or different sound.

May 4, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlack
You should buy a better set of headphones first. Better Grados is the obvious choice. Except don't get the SR-80.

What reasons do you give for this? The SR-80 works well for many, including myself.

May 5, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by EscaBoi
my friend owns a pair of SR80's and i tried it briefly with my PA2V2 and it did make quite a difference. On the other hand, he was using my PA2V2 with his SR80's quite extensively and all he kept saying was "damn they sound so good, i need to get a friggin amp now"
tongue.gif

so from my experience the PA2V2 would be a good investment with the SR60's

If you believe the Headroom site the SR-80 will benefit more from an amp than the SR-60, but I have no first hand experience.

May 5, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
If you believe the Headroom site the SR-80 will benefit more from an amp than the SR-60, but I have no first hand experience.

Eh, the SR60 gets better with a clean signal path and a nice little jump in power... like any headphone.

May 5, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Eh, the SR60 gets better with a clean signal path and a nice little jump in power... like any headphone.

Agreed. I was just referring to EcaBoi's comment about comparing the SR-80 to the SR-60. The benefits derived from an amp for one might not necessarily be the same for the other.

May 5, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Agreed. I was just referring to EcaBoi's comment about comparing the SR-80 to the SR-60. The benefits derived from an amp for one might not necessarily be the same for the other.

Ahh. Gotcha. Hmmm... I dunno... as far as I'm concerned the SR-80's kinda in dead space to me. I'd upgrade as follows: SR60, SR225 (or MS2i), RS1. I don't know anyone who owns a pair, really. Wish I could borrow some to check it out!

May 5, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
as far as I'm concerned the SR-80's kinda in dead space to me. I'd upgrade as follows: SR60, SR225 (or MS2i), RS1.

I think a lot of people feel that way and that might be why Electric Black wrote:

Quote:

You should buy a better set of headphones first. Better Grados is the obvious choice. Except don't get the SR-80.

May 5, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #55 of 64
I can't speak for the SR-60's, but with the 80's, I found my amp to be essential to making the SR-80's sound their best. They sound thin and lifeless otherwise. I would get a cheap amp and see how you like it. Make sure it's more of a high current design, though. Grados like lots of current.

May 5, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #56 of 64
Wow; I help the kids with homework and dinner and come back to find a new series of universal truths have been revealed!!

don't blink......

Things happen fast around here!!
blink.gif

---------------------------------------

Ok, and I confess.....I snuck over to the dark side for a couple hours too.....after homework and dinner the kids went outside to play and the wife did some sewing and spent some time in the kitchen and left me alone...With the main sound system!!

My speakers sound like my MS-1s which sound like my speakers.

It was jolly fun!

....except my ears ring a little
frown.gif

May 5, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #57 of 64
Although the 60's do quite well un-amped, the amp will add a more full and rich sound. Money well spent in my opion.
Best,
Jim

May 5, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

One other point, changing headphones will definitely give you more of a change in sound signature than adding an amp, especially an entry level amp with an entry level headphone. However, it does not necessarily buy you better sound quality. It depends on what you're looking for better or different sound.

Right, but when you're just starting off, it's hard to tell which is which. For instance, you might have bought the MS-1 based on some recommendations. Sounds good (but then again you have nothing to compare it to), but you think the bass is lacking, so you buy the SR225. When that's still not enough bass for you, you go ahead and get a pair of GS1000 with flats
basshead.gif
Then when the bass still isn't right, you realize that it's just the particular way Grados present bass that you don't like. You downgrade to the A500 and all of a sudden everything sounds right to your ears.

May 5, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #59 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Right, but when you're just starting off, it's hard to tell which is which. For instance, you might have bought the MS-1 based on some recommendations. Sounds good (but then again you have nothing to compare it to), but you think the bass is lacking, so you buy the SR225. When that's still not enough bass for you, you go ahead and get a pair of GS1000 with flats
basshead.gif
Then when the bass still isn't right, you realize that it's just the particular way Grados present bass that you don't like. You downgrade to the A500 and all of a sudden everything sounds right to your ears.

Well I think that's when the person hasn't provided enough information about what kind of bass he/she likes.(Bass just one example)
Car Audio bass? Bass/Cello bass? Bose Bass? Head vibrate bass? Lack of bass?

May 5, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #60 of 64
Some folks have a distinct advantage in this "What should I buy" syndrome: Those who have spent years putting together a sound system(speakers)for their home, and are simply trying to duplicate it as closely as possible with cans.

With "this" forum and lots of time, It can be accomplished!! You have to study a lot! But the answers can be obvious to even the most casual of observer.

For instance; try this out:

We have a bunch of grandkids in our care and I need to hear if an emergency happens or the phone rings or whatever.

Do I need open or closed cans?

My sound system is slightly foreward and a little bright in nature. Not real bright; not real foreward! I tend to analyze my music, but toe tapping IS automatic.

I built a tight, clean "Musical" sub, not one for thunderous bass. The term "Basshead" is not in my vocabulary.

I'm not crazy about the new world order and would rather buy from my neighbors in the good ol' U.S of A.

(That pretty well narrows it down, huh?)

Name my entry-level can?

-------------------------
Oh, thought of a couple of other points: I play guitar (which was made in a NYC burrough)and am of Itallian desent.

-------------------------

Finding the first cans was easy; moving up is the problem!
frown.gif

Not a real problem; getting it nailed down too!

Need "more" of what I have. Weight is not a major issue but to go from cans weighing 200 grams to ones weighing 300 could be a potential consideration.

I like the precision of metal, but the natural attraction of wood and it's lighter weight, is compelling!

With all the kids; budget is important, but a little(not doubling!)added expendiature to accomplish lighter weight is acceptable considering that greater cost can sometimes add a more comfortable padded headband to the mix!

......this really IS fun!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back