Do i really need an amp/dac for the hd650?
Dec 19, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #18 of 28
So your trying to say that low amplifer headphones cant drive them louder or better? (not trying to make the hd650 ear ringing)
Using an amp for the 650 isn't necessarily about volume. It's about getting a dynamic clean sound. The 650 sound better with an amp and deserve a decent one. Otherwise they aren't worth the money. It's like buying a new 4k television and putting it directly across from a window that gives massive glare.

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 28
Using an amp for the 650 isn't necessarily about volume. It's about getting a dynamic clean sound. The 650 sound better with an amp and deserve a decent one. Otherwise they aren't worth the money. It's like buying a new 4k television and putting it directly across from a window that gives massive glare.
Thanks for the tip.

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #20 of 28
So your trying to say that low amplifer headphones cant drive them louder or better? (not trying to make the hd650 ear ringing)

I'm saying I can't answer for you what you can discern by ear. Can you tell for example EADGBE from DADGBE? If you say "yes" my response at best is "OK maybe you can tell a difference." This is just based on how you can't tell a Sennheiser from a Skull Candy.

On the flipside...what if I'm wrong about how bad the Skull Candy is? Maybe it isn't so far off that while I can tell a difference chances are I shouldn't expect telling them apart to be really obvious. My own friends for example can't tell Apple earbuds from the loosened clamp HD600.

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #21 of 28
I'm saying I can't answer for you what you can discern by ear. Can you tell for example EADGBE from DADGBE? If you say "yes" my response at best is "OK maybe you can tell a difference." This is just based on how you can't tell a Sennheiser from a Skull Candy.

On the flipside...what if I'm wrong about how bad the Skull Candy is? Maybe it isn't so far off that while I can tell a difference chances are I shouldn't expect telling them apart to be really obvious. My own friends for example can't tell Apple earbuds from the loosened clamp HD600.
Maybe you're right , but after trying them the hd 650 for a while, i do notice that the skullcandy had a lot of distortion, but i also my soundcard had hissing on the right which damaged my right ear. But needing a better amp in the future will show some proof. I just need a cheap amp just to get rid of the hissing.

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 28
I just need a cheap amp just to get rid of the hissing.

If the hissing is coming from whatever you're plugging it into then the only way the noise will be removed is if it's a matter of amplification quality, like if the headphone has too high sensitivity while the amp circuit has too high gain, or too low impedance; or too high impedance or too low sensitivity the amp circuit in there is stressed in another way.

If it's coming from somewhere before the amp stage, which on desktop computers can be the power supply, an amp will still pick up the noise and then make it louder.

Depending on where the noise is actually coming from a DAC-HPamp might work better than just an amp, but still no guarantee.

Basically I'm saying the only way to know is to try an amp, but that it isn't a sure thing.

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #28 of 28
That's the older versions. So far I've seen at least two posts that said the Magni3 sounds a little smoother than the Magni2.

Magni 3 is comparably cheaper with it's build quality and everything when you put the objective 2 in. I mean the design aesthetics are lot pleasing to the eye as an desktop amplifier. I think sound wise it wins as well in my book because it is more towards warmish side rather than cold neutral. i think my final thoughts are going towards magni 3. I will make my order soon, tomorrow or maybe day after. :) thank you so much for all the replies and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back