Do I really need a TV to use a Pioneer DV-563a?
Mar 23, 2004 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tbuddha

New Head-Fier
I've seen several threads pointing out that a TV is needed if you use a Pioneer DV-563a. If I got one of these units, I would want it strictly for playing audio discs; CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As, in my office. I don't have a TV there.

I've looked at the manual on Pioneer's site, but until I actually get my hands on a piece of gear, it is hard for me to figure out all of the ergonomics.

I can see you might need a TV for initial setup, but even there it seems that all the default settings are ones that would accommodate two-channel listening.

Aside from somewhat advanced functions like programming play lists (which I'm not interested in) could someone who has actually used one please tell me what makes a TV essential to use this player.

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 8
I have the DV-47Ai, which is very similar to the DV-563 in terms of menus and such. Most of the advanced functions require a menu to work, so you'd need a TV for those. However, I only use CD playback functions with the most advanced fuction being infinite replay. For this function, I have memorized the keystrokes to operate it. For most of the simple operations, you can merely memorize keystrokes. However, to initally get things set up, I hooked the RCA video out to my video capture card so that I could see the menus on my computer screen.

Mar 23, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Once you have done the initial setup you don't need a tv to play SACD, CD and MP3.
A disc loaded with MP3 can however be difficult to navigate through witout the tv.

You will still need a TV for DVD-A discs.
This is more a requirement of the DVD-A format than the player.

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 8
The initial setup takes literally two seconds to do, since you're just selecting what kind of tv display you have. After that, just remember to check the SACD settings (If I remember correctly, the player I had defaulted to multichannel which sounds awful through cans), and make a cheat sheet for your basic functions like auto-repeat.

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Beyond initial setup, the main functions that you might want a TV for are 1) random play and 2) repeat play. If you have a decent programmable remote, you can program in the sequence of keypresses it takes to invoke these features. Otherwise just memorize the sequence of keypresses, as Davidmiya has done.

Mar 23, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 8
I picked up a little LCD from ebay for something like $50. Takes all the memory work out of it.

Mar 25, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 8
After set up, you can get by without a TV. For example, whenver I play a DVD-A, I know I have to it enter twice. That usually works! Not idea, but it'll do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back