Do I need to Burn-In, or get an amp? (Brainwavs HM5, sound gutless and tinny without any bass)
Mar 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kudot

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I recently upgraded from my cheap AKG K-44s to some Brainwavs HM5s, and have two problems.

1. I have literally no bass at all in comparison
  2. The sound is really tinny due to the fact the bass isn't really there

Can these be remedied via burn-in, or do I have to buy an amplifier? Sorry if I've asked obvious questions, I've only had the K-44s prior so I'm really new to headphones in general. Other than that, they are very comfortable and snug.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

May 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 8
No problem, pretty sure you will enjoy the pair very much.  See ya around.
size]

May 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 8
Just got an e7 yesterday, amazing!

I don't get any static or whirring when I'm I'm not listening to anything, the bass is present again and sound quality is noticeably better overall.

May 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Also, give yourself some time to adjust to the headphones too.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 8
Has anyone else had this problem with the HM5 or equivalent headphones?

I just got the NVX XPT100 (which has the same drivers as the HM5) and am experiencing this same problem. The thing is...I'm already driving it with a Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp. The bass is nearly nonexistent and it sounds very tinny and artificial. According to all the reviews, they're supposed to sound neutral, accurate, and realistic, but this is certainly not the case at this time.

Edit: Please reply at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/751187/nvx-xpt100-hm5-clone-nonexistent-bass-tinny-and-artificial-sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back