Do I need to burn-in my new sound card?
Mar 15, 2006 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

veilside

New Head-Fier
When I first heard my new M-Audio Revolution 5.1, I really dont think it is worth upgrading, because it sounded worse then my old SB Live, it was really bright and harsh, I even thought of switching back to my old SB Live, cos it sounded much better, but after running it for more then 10 hours, the sound seems to have improved dramatically. It just like I am listening to a different card now, the sound is much more refined and all the brightness has gone! Anyone of you had the experience before?

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 3
An opposite experience.... When I switched from the Audigy2 to the Revo5.1, I thought it's less "plasticky" and more musical. It's like dynamic range of a camera. The Audigy2 has less, and the Revo5.1 has more.

Onto your issue though, I find that my Revo5.1 is quite bright when the volume is maxed out. There's quite a sonic signature difference (to my ear, at least) between the minimum and the max of the volume slider. I heard maxing out the computer volume is the best because it retains more information. It's best to feed out as much information to the amp.

Edit: Forgot to say that I do a volume match and still hear the difference, via the use of a headphone amp.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 3
it might be just your ears getting used to it

the more i listen to my av-710(similar to revo) the more i notice the clarity and subtle differences and can say with more and more certainty that it beats the hell out of my audigy2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back