do i need an amp?
Feb 28, 2008 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

roggae

Head-Fier
so i am using mt grado sr-80s and my shure e5s a lot more on my video ipod. one thing i was wondering: do i need some kind of preamp or can i just plug right into the ipod. for years i have been plugging in and have not noticed anything negative, but would i benefit from some kind of preamp? and if so, recommendations?

thanks

Feb 28, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 6
this would probably get more of a response in the amps forum than the portables forum... just FYI. I would comment, but I can't claim to be helpful in the area of amps.

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 6
I don't have the same headphones as you do, but I have a few easy to drive headphones and IEMs. I personally don't own an amp that I can use with them. All of my amps easily drive 600 ohm K240 Sextetts. With IEMs, they all go from no sound to too loud with nothing in between. There are amps designed for IEMs. The only one I've heard is the iBasso T2, and it wasn't an improvement over the iPod, IMO. Personally, I think the SQ from the iPod is fine. It's not worth the cost of a RS or other amp for me.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 6
I've used Shure IEMs and Grado from a video iPod and they both sound fine using the headphone jack. Adding an amp can be a nice addition as long as you use a line out dock (LOD) for the iPod with a decent portable amp.

Depending on the quality of the amp, you can expect a wider/more open soundstage with an improved dynamic sound. Frequency response may also be enhanced,mainly deeper/cleaner bass from my experience with experimenting with Grado 325i and every DAP and amp that I've owned since I bought them.

Some amps have additional features such as bass boost and crossfeed which might be enough to consider using an amp regardless.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 6
the sound will change however using just the ipod with cable from headphone to the amp as well. most portables are not able to drive bass efficiently from the headphone jack with low imp phones and iems (er4s not included).

so, if you add an amp, you will get better bass response as the headphone out is unloaded. conversely, you will most likely get less sparkle in the high end with rolled off highs that are possible for many amps.

the ipod for instance will give lower volume on the dt880 but a pretty flat freq response when driving them but with the iem, it will roll off bass around 30-50hz. my d2 was terrible without an amp for bass with any portable phone and then with my micro iv, suddenly it was better.

but... i hate to take amps with me - they bulk up a once nice portable rig. i sacrifice sound quality every time when convenience is impaired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back