do I need an amp???
Jul 8, 2002 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

linnem

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not into really loud music and my headphones are all between 16 and 64 ohms so driving them from my D-CJ01 is no problem.

What really interests me is the cross-filter...Is that worth 160 US (porta corda) and will it "work" from the headphone out on my pocketradios???

In short, will I gain anything soundwise if volume is not an issue?

Jul 8, 2002 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 8
Depending on what heaphones you're using, there could definitely be a sonic improvement and not just an increase in available volume. What headphones do you own?

I'm not sure if it's worth a $100 investment for crossfeed unless you really think you need it, say, if you're find listening to your headphones gives you a headache, or something to that effect. If you really want a crossfeed, someone can build an external crossfeed for probably under $50.

Jul 8, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 8
linnem
HI: I think that we all need a amp or at least a portable amp at some time and I like the cross feed. If you get a amp you will get better potential out of almost any can and then can upgrade to better stuff in days to come. I think on this forum most members have a portable or better amp and find that it is very nessary to have one to get the max out of whatever that they are useing. I havbe a pocket radio and when I get down I use the total airhead with it even though I get enough power with out the amp. The amp is more than volume. It has crossfeed and lets my can get the full potential out of then even with a portable radio. I use the portapros and radio but when I use the total airhead with then the sound is much fuller and much more dynamic and the crossfeed lets me listen for hours with no fatige. So i think it is just a matter of time befor you will get a portable amp or better.

Jul 8, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 8
I was just reading your profile, and I think you should look into a headphone upgrade before you get an amp. Are those Grados repairable? An amp would make a difference with the Grados, but I wouldn't bother with an amp if you're going to be listening only through your other 'phones.

Jul 8, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Hi!

No, the grados are gone and not coming back. I have made a permanent cat-toy from it in a tree in the back of my yard. Maybe the mambrane grows back. The cost of rep. would equal the cost of a new pair.

I have been looking for an upgrade for some time (canceled my order for the hd497), but i'm not too thrilled about getting a new pair of grados, sure they sounded execptionel, but wasent very portable and definetly not cat/accident proff. I have a crush on the D66 on minidisco (looks very portable) but not sure they are worth the money.

Uses my portable gear a lot, but worried about "throwing away" 160 dollars on a crossfilter...

Jul 8, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 8
I personally like the Meier crossfeed, particularly on some recordings with extreme stereo separation, but I could easily live without it. This week, I haven't used crossfeed once. Does headphone listening cause headaches or fatigue? It's possible that the lack of crossfeed is causing this, but I have a feeling that the fatigue is rather due to headphones of mediocre quality. If you just want the crossfeed feature, you could easily build a crossfeed box yourself (or heck, _I'll_ build one for you) for much cheaper than buying the attached amp.

And couldn't you just get Grados again and just store them somewhere safe this time?
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Well, I used them a lot every day on foot, bike, bus and so on. Did not find them very portable and with the the price here in norway (150+ US) I was always kind of worried that something should happend to them, and it did. Thats why I like the LOOK of the MDR-D66, they seem so portable/storable compared to the grados and the price would come to the same...

I would really like to try the cross-feed before I buy for the resons you mention, but its kinda hard. And yes I get "headfatigue" from extended headphone use.

Jul 8, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 8
The difference an amp may make doesn't really have anything to do with volume, it is *control*. Precise control of the diaphragm will help in resolving detail, provide accurate soundstaging etc.
Sure, you may well be able to make the headphones go louder, but i wouldn't expect you actually need it louder unless you're running 600ohm phones off a pocket radio or something..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back