Do I need an amp to go along with the Zune?
Apr 14, 2007 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ttnl

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, do I need an amp to go along with the Zune and Shure E500? I know that Zune doesn't have a line-out. So does it affect the sound quality at all if I use an amp via the headphone-out? Is is worth to buy an amp? Thanks.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 8
The Zune will do fine through the headphone-out. An amp will noticeably improve the sound, but it's up to you to decide whether you'd sacrifice quite a bit of portability for that increase.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm gonna use Xin Supermicro, so portability is not an issue. I worry that the signal out of the headphone jack is not as good as the signal out of the line-out. Has any Zune owner compare the SQ out of headphone jack and out of the A/V jack on the dock? I don't want to pay 200 more for the amp without any real gain in term of SQ.

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 8
I purchased my Zune after taking possession of a Black Hornet (or has it possessed me?).
biggrin.gif

Before the Zune, I used a Nano 2G with line-out. The Nano didn't have enough capacity, so I had a choice to make. Thanks to the great folks at Head-fi, I decided to get the Zune based on the reported SQ. (I also got the Cardas 6" mini-mini cable to connect them.)

Originally I used the Zune/Hornet rig to drive Sennheiser HD650s with outstanding results.

After realizing that the HD650's were not conducive to quality listening while at a crowded/loud Starbucks (the hell with the strange looks), I purchased the e500s.

IMHO, the Zune headphone output by itself is outstanding: no hiss, no clipping, no stress or congestion that I can discern. Of course this applies to the e500s only.

While Hornet did improve the e500s (insert the usual cliche audiophile superlatives here), it was subtle and I could live without it. However, given the choice, I wouldn't want to.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I set the Zune volume to 20/20 when using the Hornet.

Edit: I think I would be quite happy if the Zune line output was the headphone output without attenuation. Would that be phony?

-m

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased my Zune after taking possession of a Black Hornet (or has it possessed me?).
biggrin.gif

Before the Zune, I used a Nano 2G with line-out. The Nano didn't have enough capacity, so I had a choice to make. Thanks to the great folks at Head-fi, I decided to get the Zune based on the reported SQ. (I also got the Cardas 6" mini-mini cable to connect them.)

Originally I used the Zune/Hornet rig to drive Sennheiser HD650s with outstanding results.

After realizing that the HD650's were not conducive to quality listening while at a crowded/loud Starbucks (the hell with the strange looks), I purchased the e500s.

IMHO, the Zune headphone output by itself is outstanding: no hiss, no clipping, no stress or congestion that I can discern. Of course this applies to the e500s only.

While Hornet did improve the e500s (insert the usual cliche audiophile superlatives here), it was subtle and I could live without it. However, given the choice, I wouldn't want to.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I set the Zune volume to 20/20 when using the Hornet.

Edit: I think I would be quite happy if the Zune line output was the headphone output without attenuation. Would that be phony?

-m

How did the 2nd gen nano with line out and hornet compare to the zune from the headphone out with the hornet with your E500's?

Apr 15, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JarodL1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did the 2nd gen nano with line out and hornet compare to the zune from the headphone out with the hornet with your E500's?

Good question; I recall preferring the Zune, but I don't recall why.
confused.gif
So, I'll take a risk/plunge and compare them. Stay tuned...

Edit: BTW, regarding the The Hornet Effect (should be a movie title
cool.gif
) on the 500s, I -do- recall that the Hornet revealed more definition and seperation within the recording--more 3D, if you will. But, as always, YMMV depending on source and other stuff in the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back