Do I need an amp - Or something else?
Oct 19, 2005 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tuckers

100+ Head-Fier
I got a Melos SHA-Gold today, my other amp is an ASL MG-Head II OTL. I've been starting to listen with a pair of Sensaphonic 2x. My HD650s are also an option.

The Sensaphonics are very efficient, and my preamp (Shindo Catherine - all tube output) is very powerful. The combination without a headphone amp driven directly from the preamp out allows me to blast my eardrums at 8 o'clock on the dial - louder than I really need.

Just for comparisons sake: When I run the Melos that way - with the Sensaphonics on the preamp out RCAs, I have to jack the volume up way high, and of course it sounds very tinny-shrill.

So my preamp seems to have the guts to drive the Sensaphonics directly. The sound is not bad, I definitely get more detail through it than through the Melos headphone jack, and the sound is livelier. But it lacks control and the bass is boomy, the dynamics are too much. On phono I hear more surface noise than I would like. The Shindo preamp however is dead quiet, no background noise (the Melos has a lot of noise with the efficient sensaphonics, but sounds very quiet on the HD650s).

So what do I need? Not really an amp, but a circuit to make it more Sensaphonic Friendly. Could it be passive? Some resistors to add attenuation, some change in impedance?

Any Ideas? I don't really know circuit design, so this is beyond me.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 5
Is this a dumb question?

Bump.

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 5
At least part of the reason you haven't gotten any answers is that you're using so much uncommon equipment. Few will have experienced all that stuff, so it's hard to know how to answer your questions.

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 5
from the information at hand, the solution i'd come up with would be to simply just listen to the sensa's from the shindo. it seems to deliver what you require. save the melos for the senn's.

Oct 21, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks, Tangent. You're right. I'm going to repost this in a more generic way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back