Do I need an amp or DAC?
Oct 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nuclearboy197

Head-Fier
Hi. I own the Harman/Kardon edition of the HTC One M8. The headphones I own are the AKG K545. As the title suggests, I'm wondering if I need an amp/DAC. Keep in mind, the AKG is a 32 ohm headphone. If I do need one, which ones do you recommend?

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 9
  Hi. I own the Harman/Kardon edition of the HTC One M8. The headphones I own are the AKG K545. As the title suggests, I'm wondering if I need an amp/DAC. Keep in mind, the AKG is a 32 ohm headphone. If I do need one, which ones do you recommend?

I'm guessing it's not really worth it to get an external DAC/amp for use with the HTC One M8.
As you already use the Neutron for music anyway.

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 9

To be honest, neutron doesn't make that much of a difference from the original music app.

Replace your Neutron with one of these

Clip + or Clip Zip (with Rockbox installed)
Sony E series player
FiiO X1

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 9
I bought a Fiio E18 to pair with my Galaxy Note 3 using Neutron. I was driving my V-Moda M-100's. The sound was superb. However...

The combined size of the combo was frankly ridiculous. Way too big to be truly portable. So a few months ago I did precisely what PurpleAngel suggests above. I bought a Clip+ and haven't looked back. It drives my headphones well enough and sounds very nearly as good as the brick did. YMMV.

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 9

FiiO E11K, $60.

Ok this looks like it's everything I need, thanks
biggrin.gif
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back