Do I need an amp for the DT770Pro-80 headphones?
Feb 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 7
How do the Fuze and iTouch sound relative to one another?  Is either not loud enough for you?

You can always get slightly better performance (past a certain point, often not necessarily audibly better) with a better dedicated amp, but whether or not that's worth the extra cost and inconvenience of lugging around a second device, is another matter.  If you switch from a source with non-negligible output impedance to one with a low output impedance--say, some dedicated amps, even like FiiO E5--the bass should tighten up and you should get less exaggerated midbass.  However, your sources don't have that issue, so there's not as much to be gained here with a different amplifier.

FiiO E11, for better or worse, is mostly just a clone of the Mini3, so the extra cost on the Mini3 is not going to be worth it.  The main issue is just not being able to use it while it's charging, for the E11.  If the CMoy is a single battery type with a weakish rail splitter (many are), and you listen pretty loud or to music that's very quiet, I'd be a little concerned about the power output from a CMoy design like that.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I think I may get the FiiO E11, AMB LABS MINI3, or Cmoy 2.0.3...does anyone have any opinions?

To me the JDS Labs CMoy sounds better than the E11.  Smoother and more dynamic.
The E11, though, is more "portable" - slimmer with a tougher shell.
And it does sound quite good...just not as good as the CMoy.

I use either depending on what I'll be doing - meaning, for example, if I'm going to the gym,
I'll use the E11.  If I'm just going for a walk, the CMoy is fine.  It's just more physically delicate
than the E11.

I haven't heard the MINI3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back