Do I need an AMP for my new Sennheiser HD580 on a PC?
Jul 9, 2009 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Vandaahl

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some informed advice, since I know very little about amp/dacs. I just bought Sennheiser HD580 headphones online (haven't got them yet), which I plan to use on watching Blu-ray movies on my PC with Dolby Headphone (through PowerDVD). I have a creative USB soundcard, called Xmod. Would that be enough to power the HD580, or do I need an Amp? I don't have much of a budget (between €100-200) and I'm pretty satisfied with the Xmod, but if using an amp is clearly better I'm willing to buy one. I was looking at the Trends PA-10 and the iBasso D2, which get good reviews and seem somewhat affordable. I suppose the iBasso has my preference, since it's both a USB soundcard and an amp.

Any ideas?

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 14
First of all, I would definitely recommend getting an amp for that setup. You can upgrade your source down the road if need be.
100-200 Euros is a decent budget for an amp. I would recommend snagging a CKKIII or M^3 off the FS section and staying away from a portable/small amp such as the ones you mentioned if you'll be using it exclusively at home.

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 14
i have had those headphones, have an xmod, had an ibasso. the ibasso is no stronger than the xmod (though nicer sounding for sure)
get a desktop amp and you will be happy.

p.s. the xmod line out is stronger than the headphone out for some reason

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 14
ok i just tried my hd565 (same drivers as 580, sound the same, about as hard to drive- yes i had both at same time) out of the xmod. used the line out next to usb plug. sound was surprisingly decent.
so -try them with the 580 and save up for a powerful enough amp to make a difference

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I will try the new HD580 first on my Xmod, and see how that sounds. I wonder if it'll sound better than the HD555 (while using an Xmod).

I was looking around for cheap amp and found the Qinpu Q2, which are only $79. Would those be decent for an HD580? Remember I have no experience with any amp so I'm probably not the most critical listener.

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 14
If budget is an issue, another option is to find a nice vintage receiver to power your phones, something like an old sansui, marantz, etc. You can pick some of those up for peanuts, and they sound phenomenal.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 14
You do not need an external amplifier, as you can always use the amplifier built into your sound card.
That said, an external dedicated amplifier will most certainly benefit the sound quality in a positive way.

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If budget is an issue, another option is to find a nice vintage receiver to power your phones, something like an old sansui, marantz, etc. You can pick some of those up for peanuts, and they sound phenomenal.

I've been thinking about this, and it's a great tip. Turns out my father had an old Marantz SR 1000 receiver lying around, so I hooked it up to my computer. The difference (on my current HD555's) is HUGE
k701smile.gif
And the SR 1000 isn't even highly regarded as far as vintage Marantz stuff goes.

It made me wonder though. If I would connect the optical output of my onboard soundcard to a modern (DVD) receiver, would I get the superior headphone performance a cheap vintage receiver would offer? I can get a Denon ADV-M71 receiver for really cheap (less than €100), and it even has onboard Dolby Headphone. Would that be a good headphone supporting companion to my PC? As a bonus it could power my speakers...

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 14
IMO most newer units have extremely cheap headphone amps. You can find a vintage Marantz, Pioneer, or Sansui receiver for cheaper than that and it will sound better. I love my 580's with my Marantz 2226b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back