Do i need an amp for KOSS PRO-4AA?
Apr 17, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 10
As one of the few owners of the Koss Pro-4AA, I would say that they sound almost up to potential out of any jack, and I would say that money would be better spent on new headphones than an amp
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 10
Wow do those bring back memories. The Koss Pro-4AA were the very first "quality" headphones I owned back in the early 70's. Heavy green monsters with their liquid filled earpads. From what I recall, they sounded pretty damned good.....at least to my young high school ears.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
The Koss Pro4aa is not a bad headphone. It's just that it doesn't get pumped much by an amp and there are better headphones.

I've still got a set of Koss Pro4AA here, in the box. Back in the 70's they replaced my older Pro4A set. The old set developed a "buzz" in one of the drivers, and the cord would short out.

I'm of the opinion that while the sound is still respectable, the Pro4AA can't compete with the power handling capabilitiy that new 'phones receive from digital material.

The old 'phones went with me to a recent recording session, but they were surprisingly uncomfortable - too heavy!

- Andy

Apr 19, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
For the same amount of money as an amp, you could get V6s. Case closed
wink.gif

My 14-year-old V6's still sound great, even with the iPod!

- Andy
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Your source will be good enough to drive them, an amp will make it sound cleaner but I agree with what been said already;save the amp money and upgrade 'phones later!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back