Do I need amp or DAC?
Nov 30, 2016 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Proxximo

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I read lots of posts here and most recommend a headphone amplifier or DAC for Sennheiser HD600. Those will be mostly for watching movies and listening music.
I have Denon AVR 989. It works perfectly well with Klipsch RF-63. I am wondering why the Denon would not be sufficient to drive Sennheiser HD600 if it drives such speakers?
If not, would any of the two below would drive it?
- Behringer Miniamp Ultra-Compact 4-Channel Headphone Amplifier (AMP800) 
- PreSonus HP4 Headphone Amplifier
My major criteria was the budget. I need to stay within $150 – 180.
Recommendations/advice with regard to specific devices would be very much appreciated.
Thank you!

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 15

I read lots of posts here and most recommend a headphone amplifier or DAC for Sennheiser HD600. Those will be mostly for watching movies and listening music.
I have Denon AVR 989. It works perfectly well with Klipsch RF-63. I am wondering why the Denon would not be sufficient to drive Sennheiser HD600 if it drives such speakers?

What leads you in the first place to says the Denon AVR-989 would not at least do a decent job of driving the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600 headphones?

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 15
I have not received the headphones yet. They are on their way. So, I had no chance to try. But as I said, I browsed the forum a lot and specifically threads on the subject. Almost all the folks recommend a headphone amp or DAC. That is the only reason.

Anyway, it would be nice to compare "with and without".  

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 15
  I have not received the headphones yet. They are on their way. So, I had no chance to try. But as I said, I browsed the forum a lot and specifically threads on the subject. Almost all the folks recommend a headphone amp or DAC. That is the only reason.

Technically a dedicated external DAC and headphone amplifier is better then plugging a headphone into a receiver.
But to make a noticeable improvement, over using the Denon, to drive the 300-Ohm HD600, is I'm guessing a fair bit more money, then what you would reasonably like to spend.
Like spending $750 for a Schiit DAC/amp, would be something to look into.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxximo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are they referring to the HD600 specifically or other headphones? Because if you compare the HD600 and, say, the K701, there are more reasons why the AKG would have issues with speaker gear. First problem is that it has low impedance - most speaker amps and receivers have a very high output impedance which can alter the bass response. Also the AKG's sensitivity is low enough vs the HD600 that even if an amp (including headphone amps) produces more power at 32ohms than at 300ohms, for nearly all amps out there you can still go louder on the HD600 before distortion kicks in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxximo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Given the HD600 has less issues with speaker amps/receivers, unlike how in some cases such can screw up the AKGs' sound that a decent but low price headphone amp will sound fantastic compared to the receivers, with the HD600 the improvement might not necessarily be that drastic. If you don't plan on getting lower impedance headphones to replace the HD600 (maybe just a Grado for non-critical listening), might as well try an OTL amp like the Valhalla if you can afford it.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 15
Thank you very much! Sorry for the delayed reply.
I believe I’ve got the major idea: I should try HD600 first with the Denon and see how it works. Actually, I’ve bought HD600 and HD598. The second one should be here tomorrow. I read lots of reviews and it looks like they are not too picky.
​Definitely, I am not going to spend $750 to get some improvement of the sound.
I am going to ask a question that will show you the real depth of my technical ignorance and I am ignorant about the stuff.
What is the best way to adjust the sound volume – with receiver control buttons or with those of the headphone? Or maybe there is no difference at all?
Thank you!

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 15

What is the best way to adjust the sound volume – with receiver control buttons or with those of the headphone? Or maybe there is no difference at all?

What do you mean, "those of the headphone"? Headphones are passive components powered by the amplifier, they are not active components with any volume control, not even a passive preamp.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 15

Sorry if I put the question wrong. I also have Sennheiser RS 220 and they have volume control buttons. I do not know whether there are such volume control buttons on HD600 and HD598 as I never had them in my hands.

My question is what buttons to control the sound volume is better to use - those the receiver or the headphone if there are such buttons on the headphone? 

thank you!

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 15
  Sorry if I put the question wrong. I also have Sennheiser RS 220 and they have volume control buttons. I do not know whether there are such volume control buttons on HD600 and HD598 as I never had them in my hands.
My question is what buttons to control the sound volume is better to use - those the receiver or the headphone if there are such buttons on the headphone? 

The HD598 and HD600 do not come with any built in volume controls
Max out (75%-100%) the volume controls on the source and use the Denon volume knob to adjust headphone loudness.

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 15
  Thank you! The question has come to my mind based on the fact the RS 220 has volume control buttons.

As the RS 220 has the amplifiers built into the cups, it needs to have volume controls.

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 15
  why do the Sony's headphones usually have low impedance?
why do the Sennheiser's headphone usually have high impedance?

I would assume a lot of headphones sold in the world are for smart phones (iPhone, Android, etc).
Low impedance headphones work best with smart phones.
So Sony makes a lot of low impedance headphones.

I'm sure Sennheiser sells more lower impedance (50-Ohm?) headphones, then high impedance headphones.
Not sure why you assume Sennheiser headphones in general are high impedance.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 15

I would assume a lot of headphones sold in the world are for smart phones (iPhone, Android, etc).
Low impedance headphones work best with smart phones.
So Sony makes a lot of low impedance headphones.

I'm sure Sennheiser sells more lower impedance (50-Ohm?) headphones, then high impedance headphones.
Not sure why you assume Sennheiser headphones in general are high impedance.

oh, maybe because I just have read some reviews of hd600s :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back