Do I need amp for HD595?
Oct 6, 2006 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Murugesh

100+ Head-Fier
I use my HD595 (50 ohms version) with laptop to listen to music. I think my can gets enough power from the laptop. Do I need a headphone amp?

If yes, why?

Oct 6, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugesh
I use my HD595 (50 ohms version) with laptop to listen to music. I think my can gets enough power from the laptop. Do I need a headphone amp?

If yes, why?

It would probably improve the sound for a couple of reasons:

a) The digital to audio converters (DACs) and audio preamp circuits in your laptop are really nasty sounding (unless they are a whole lot better than the stuff built into the Dell desktops!).

b) Even if the computer audio circuits will play loud enough, it is almost certainly clipping when you listen at louder volumes.

Something like a Total Bithead would be a perfect upgrade for a laptop. Plugs into a USB port. Has its own DACs and a decent quality headphone amp. You can set the gain to LOW which is probably all you need with the 595's. The whole thing is about the size of a deck of cards. Retails for $199. It can be powered by the USB port or by four AAA batteries.

So, it's not so much a question of whether or not you can play the 595's loud enough. It's a sound quality issue.

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 7
I agree. You'll probably find that upgrading your source will give you more SQ improvement than amping a crappy signal. The 2006 bithead is perfect for your needs, as the HD595s don't really need that much amping to sound great.

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 7
You don't need an amp for the 595; pretty much all sources can drive them fine. But you might want to buy some kind of DAC because chances are the sound card in your laptop is crap. Something cheap like the

TBAAM
($30) should suit your needs unless you want to spend more on a nicer option.

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 7
I am currently enjoying them ampless. But i'm planning on purchasing an amp for the future as well as a new soundcard.

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 7
They work fine without an amp, but if you are spending time here you will more than likely end up buying one anyway. I got the 595s and bought the headfive and it works great and gives you the option of using crossfeed which can't be done without an amp or at least a crossfeed box of some kind. I also use the headphones without an amp at times and am very happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back