Do I need a receiver?
Dec 8, 2008 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yeahman67

Head-Fier
Hi, my planned setup is going tp be with bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. The subwoofer is going to be 125 watts max, and the speakers are going to be 120 watts max. I'm planning to just hook up the speakers to the sub. My uncle told me that the setup will sound like crap because I'm sharing the power with the subwoofer. So, is a receiver really necessary?

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 4
Powered main speakers and powered subwoofer? If so then you should be fine.

You could get in arguments about whether there is "better" and there always will be better. Many think it better for there to be some crossover to separate out the low frequencies, and send them to the sub, and send everything else, but not the low frequencies to the main speakers. As to a receiver, not all of them have separate subwoofer out connectors, and rely on the exact method you are discussing.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the setup as you are describing it. Not sure I have seen speakers with that much power in each one, mostly that describes the wattage capability of the speakers. Subs with 100+ watt amps built in yes, bookshelves? - I doubt it, but possible today with digital amps.

Then there is the argument against subwoofers in general, but that's a whole different religion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back