Do I need a portable amp for Ultrasone Pro 900 on iPhone 5?
Aug 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DJ XtAzY

100+ Head-Fier
So I bought my first can, which is the Ultrasone Pro 900, since I want to see how much of a difference coming from IEM. I also own Audio Technica CKS77 and Future Sonic MG7 IEMs, so you know I'm a basshead. I also love a huge soundstage so I was curious whether this headphone will give me a wider soundstage.

Now I use my cans primary on my desktop and iPhone 5. There are times I find the treble a bit harsh, so I use equalizer apps (such as eQU or Denon's equ) on the AppStore to tweak the high ends.

Anyways I'll be buying Creative SoundBlaster ZXR soon anyways, so I'm not worried about my desktop. I never own a portable amp before so I'm especially a noob at that. The sound coming from the iPhone is loud enough and enough bass due to EQ apps. Does an amp makes it even better? And yes I did search old threads, but most are related to older iphones, which probably didn't have the potential to drive this can. If so, which one would you recommend?

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
So I bought my first can, which is the Ultrasone Pro 900, since I want to see how much of a difference coming from IEM. I also own Audio Technica CKS77 and Future Sonic MG7 IEMs, so you know I'm a basshead. I also love a huge soundstage so I was curious whether this headphone will give me a wider soundstage.

Now I use my cans primary on my desktop and iPhone 5. There are times I find the treble a bit harsh, so I use equalizer apps (such as eQU or Denon's equ) on the AppStore to tweak the high ends.

Anyways I'll be buying Creative SoundBlaster ZXR soon anyways, so I'm not worried about my desktop. I never own a portable amp before so I'm especially a noob at that. The sound coming from the iPhone is loud enough and enough bass due to EQ apps. Does an amp makes it even better? And yes I did search old threads, but most are related to older iphones, which probably didn't have the potential to drive this can. If so, which one would you recommend?

Congrats on a great headphone.  To me it's my favorite BASS-heavy one, just above my D7000 for pure thump.

Yes, an amp will improve the sound.  Depending on your budget, a FiiO E-11 for around $50 is a decent entry amp, or for $100ish a C&C BH or for $130ish a FiiO E-12 are good choices as you step up. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try getting an amp. At the moment I debating whether to get the JDS Labs C5, FiiO E-12, or C&C BH.

Type of music I listen to are mostly EDM, but not really into house\electro music, more along trance, hardtrance, hardstyle, hands up, happy hardcore. Also listen to classical at times. I heard the C5 is really good at subbass and have a wider soundstage. FiiO has a subtle bass boost but ppl said it rolls over the treble a bit, so I guess that can solve the harshness of the highends for Pro 900. Not much info on the C&C. Decisions decisions, but i feel like i'm starting to head towards C5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back