Do I need a new DAC?
Jul 21, 2015 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Suuup

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I recieved my Beyer T1 about a week ago, and I've been listening to it with my Asus Xonar U7 DAC-and-amp-in-one. Now, I realize that this isn't optimal, and so I've ordered a Feliks Elise amp, but I'm in doubts about a DAC. Can I use my Asus Xonar U7 with the Elise? Could I just take a jack cable directly from my pc into the amp? I'm not sure what to do.

I've been looking at the ODAC, and was planning on buying it, but it's already been a very expensive round, so I'm not sure yet.  

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 8
The signs of a bad DAC are:

1.)  Buzz or humm

2.)  Skipping during playback

3.)  Loss of treble extension ( cymbals do not sound right, metallic instruments do not sound right )

4.)  Odd sounds especially during PC playback ( bleep-bloop ) sounds which are the sounds from the clock and CPU

A good DAC will take care off all of this so if you do not hear any of the above issues then your DAC is probably just fine.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 8
  Hi there,

I recieved my Beyer T1 about a week ago, and I've been listening to it with my Asus Xonar U7 DAC-and-amp-in-one. Now, I realize that this isn't optimal, and so I've ordered a Feliks Elise amp, but I'm in doubts about a DAC. Can I use my Asus Xonar U7 with the Elise? Could I just take a jack cable directly from my pc into the amp? I'm not sure what to do.

I've been looking at the ODAC, and was planning on buying it, but it's already been a very expensive round, so I'm not sure yet.  

Looks like the Xonar U7's RCA jacks are the best place to plug in the external headphone amplifier.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Skipping is often a buffering/memory/usb issue, but there may be other causes. A "better" dac is no guarantee that you'll be glitch free. It may eliminate some of the potential causes, but tracking down the specific cause may not be a simple matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back