Do I need a new amp for my new sennheisers?
Apr 8, 2006 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

RTilbury

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I have used the HD580s for a long time, and just recently bought and sold the Sennheiser HD650s. I needed the money, but now I just ran into some more money and bought another paid of Sennheiser HD650s!

I use a Portal Audio Panache Integrated amp that can easily drive the 650s to very loud levels at around 8 on the dial. It sounds good! So much better than my older NAD c350.

I have never tried headphones on a dedicated amp, but am wondering if maybe a older MF x-can v1 or creek obh-11 would be an upgrade. These are all I can really afford to spend on a headphone amp. Maybe there is another amp in the same price range? I was hoping to hear from someone who has heard the Panache to see what they thought.

I know stereophile and Audio Revolution quoted the Panache as being an amazing headphone amp. I think Audio revolution said it was better than their Headroom Supreme Headphone Amplifier.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by RTilbury
Hello everyone,

I have used the HD580s for a long time, and just recently bought and sold the Sennheiser HD650s. I needed the money, but now I just ran into some more money and bought another paid of Sennheiser HD650s!

I use a Portal Audio Panache Integrated amp that can easily drive the 650s to very loud levels at around 8 on the dial. It sounds good! So much better than my older NAD c350.

I have never tried headphones on a dedicated amp, but am wondering if maybe a older MF x-can v1 or creek obh-11 would be an upgrade. These are all I can really afford to spend on a headphone amp. Maybe there is another amp in the same price range? I was hoping to hear from someone who has heard the Panache to see what they thought.

I know stereophile and Audio Revolution quoted the Panache as being an amazing headphone amp. I think Audio revolution said it was better than their Headroom Supreme Headphone Amplifier.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

i don't think you NEED a new amp. that being said, it 's not the loudness of the amplifier that makes it special but it's ability to deliver the power a headphone needs the moment it needs it...it could make the headphone sound more musical, more dynamics, and even faster. The headroom supreme actually is a discontinued amplifier and those stereophile reviews are kind of old (sorry). i'm not sure what your price range is, if you could state it that could give people an idea of how much you are willing to spend...there are lots of new amps that perform very well.

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 3
Well I mentioned stereophile because they had a review of the panache and remarked about its headphone output. The panache uses a buffer connected directly to the amp's output with no IC chipsets. I also mentioned the Headroom Supreme Headphone Amplifier because it did retail for over 400 dollars, and although it is discontinued. I would assume it would still perform well.

My range is about 150 to 200. I would prefer used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back