Do I need a headphone amp?
Dec 2, 2001 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Snusk-Pelle

New Head-Fier
I am using a pair of sennheiser HD-600 with an Onkyo Integra A-807 amplifier. I think it sounds good. Would it be better with a headphone amp. How would I connect the headphone amp to my system?. The amps I looked at doesn't have any bass or treble controls. I need to turn down the treble because the HD600 is too bright.

Dec 2, 2001 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 8
Welcome to Head-Fi, Snusk-Pelle. I've heard the HD600s characterized as a lot of things, but "bright" isn't usually one of them. I think the brightness is the interaction of your headphone jack on your receiver, which, while capable of delivering enough power to your speakers, is probably underpowering the Senns. A dedicated headphone amp, such as the X-Cans V2 or the MG head DT or the Creek OBH-11 will bring out a lot more of the capabilities of the HD600. With proper amplification, I don't think you'll need a bass/treble control. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm thinking the same as well. if the HD600 is too bright, it's most probably something else in you setup. should be better with a dedicated amp.

listen to some amps to decide if it's still too bright. it might not be underpowering them, but crap amps tend to be bright and harsh, and no matter how good your integrated is with speakers, chances are the headphone jack is crap.

Dec 2, 2001 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 8
If your onkyo is anything like my onkyo 575x, well, the headphone jack sucks... too constrained, detailless, etc... bright too perhaps...

Dec 27, 2001 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 8
I bought a Musical fidelity X-CANV2. And it was much better than the Onkyo amp. I dont have any problems with the treble anymore. My HD600 are not bright anymore. You all were right, you need a headphone amp for good headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back