Do I Need A Headphone Amp?
Aug 31, 2008 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kage

Head-Fier
I have the Sennheiser HD595 headphones (50 ohms version) and the Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver. Someone told me that I need a dedicated headphone amp for my headphones. Is this true?

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 4
The Sennheiser 595 shouldn't be that hard to drive, especially considering you connect them to a Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver. The integrated amplifiers in these Yamaha receivers are supposed to be pretty powerfull.

I posted this in your other thread as well, but go and read the following thread:

Yamaha RX-V663 Amplifier/Receiver: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/yam...ceiver-357437/

Although the Yamaha RX-V663 is the main topic of this thread. kool_bubba_ice mentions his RX-V1800 receiver a number of times for comparison. According to him, his RX-V1800 is able to drive the Sennheiser HD 650 effortlessly. This should be the same case with your HD 595.

If you don't like how your headphones sound, and it's not because of faulty equipment, then you should consider getting a new pair of headphones.

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 4
definitely agree that your receiver should be fine. my receiver had several faults when it came to driving headphones but you should have no problem if its in a convenient location.

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Sennheiser HD595 headphones (50 ohms version) and the Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver. Someone told me that I need a dedicated headphone amp for my headphones. Is this true?

Drives then Fine.. Of course they can be driven better, if you want to spend a bit more.. I had a Yamaha HTR line receiver 2 yrs ago.. Was the top one in it's class, but sounded bad with my 650's.. overly dark, muddy bass, congested.. The 1800 is the total opposite..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back