Do I need a headphone amp?
Mar 10, 2008 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

johngunnar

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I recently bough a pair of ath-a900 and I was wondering if I would need an amp to get the best sound out of them. I will be using them on a laptop which has the X-fi Notebook soundcard in them. I have been looking into the AT-HA25D amp in particular, Is it worth the extra cash in buying this amp, or wont I notice much of a difference?

Another question, if I were to buy the AT-HA25D would I benefit from using an optical cable? The X-fi notebook card has an optical line out. Or is the difference (if any) not noticeable.

Thank you

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 6
Been doing some research and would love some opinions on how this would work:

-Toslink to mini toslink cable to go from the X-fi card to the AT-HA25D and let its DAC do the conversion from digital to analog.

Im guessing this would sound better... or...

Opinions/suggestions appreciated

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 6
I would not say the 900s need and amp but it will improve the sound. Notebook head out jacks are not very good sounding in general, even if its an add on card. I would recommend a dac and an amp. You can get a dac/amp combo both desktop or portable. I don't know anything about the HA25 as its a really strange set of cans. What kind of budget do you have and do you need a portable device?

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 6
The AT-HA25D is the DAC/AMP I had in mind. Audio-Technica AT-HA25D Amplifier Buy
As it does not have a USB connection however, I was concidering if it would be possible to connect it through the optical output on my soundcard.
It does not need to be portable. Im guessing you are suggesting a DAC/amplifier that uses the USB instead of the output from my soundcard?

I have about 200-250$ to use. Im mainly interested in better sound quality.

I did have a look at the USB DAC which someone named hotaudio40 was selling and building at ebay USB DAC HIGH-PERFORMANCE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER AMP - eBay (item 280205881202 end time Mar-10-08 10:00:44 PDT)

though I don't know how that would work

Thanks

-John

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 6
AT looks nice. That is a rare amp in this part of the world, im not sure you will get much feedback. There is one thing you could also look at if your so inclined. Ibasso D2 Viper, its a portable dac/amp in your price range. I will say that prices being equal that usually an AC powered desktop amp will get you better sound quality. I could be dead wrong but my instinct about the unit on Ebay is that its a waste of 70 bucks. I say go and have a look at the Viper, seems to be right up your alley.

Products

Forgot about this one as well! Meier Corda 2Move

Meier-Audio

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks, I just ordered it, does seem alot simpler than ordering it from Japan and, as you said, there not being alot of info on it on these forums. I had a look at the forum and it seems the Viper should be more than good enough for my needs.

Thank you for your help

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back