Do I "need" a headphone amp if I use In ear monitors most of the time?
May 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pandab55

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry, but I am a complete noob to this, so please don't be too rough on me...

I have a set of triple fi 10's, monster turbine pro gold and copper, and a set of shure se535s.  I have gone through a bunch of other sets, and these all sound great, but am I missing something with these by not using an amp?

If I would benefit from using a amp for my headphones, would you mind listing some that I can buy for less than 500?

I'm not an expert, I just really like to hear my music.

May 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 9
I mainly use IEM's and with the addition of an amp, does not drastically change the way it sounds, it is more of a subtle addition of warmth/detail/etc. So, I don't think you're missing out too much by not using an amp.

On the other hand, if you want to give amps a try, you might want to give the Pico Slim and RSA shadow a look, as they were designed for IEM's in mind. (Edit: spelling)

May 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Pico slim is a nice amp. About the Shadow, well, if you can't say anything nice....

I would say it's not totally necessary. IEMs are mostly quite sensitive. When it comes to IEMs I would be more inclined to get a DAC myself, but then you would need an amp anyway. In the end, it's what your ears think that matters.

May 10, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 9
If you're using a PMP that offers a line-out (or something close enough to it) then there's a significant improvement over headphone out in my opinion...some portable amplifiers offer "EQ" or bass boost settings that can tweek the sound a little if that helps.  The FiioE11 is interesting if you want to look into it.

May 10, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Sorry, but I am a complete noob to this, so please don't be too rough on me...

Ever seen the movie 'Misery' ? :wink:

Seriously, check out ljokerl's epic IEM thread - he mandates an amp in a tiny fraction of the massive number of amps he has reviewed, and recommends the use of an amp in a few others. Note also that most of the amps he used in his reviews are relative minnows in outright power terms compared to many of the current wave of portable amps - you just dont need 1300mW per channel to push drivers that small. My P4 is almost unusable with either of my IEMs - both work fine straight from my 6G Nano. 

Most of the 'demand additional amplification' IEMs are sufficiently notorious on Head-Fi that you are unlikely to purchase them without seeing reference to that requirement somewhere. Still, people do buy continue to buy the K701 without realising they need an amp, so I guess anything is possible,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back