Do I need a DAC?
Apr 14, 2017 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nas650

New Head-Fier
On new years I bought an HD 650, been powering it with an on board motherboard amp/dac Realtek ALC1150. 
Can I buy a Magni 2 Uber without a dac and plug it in to the motherboard? Will I have distortion?
Is the Magni 2 Uber a good pairing with the 650?
Should I consider the Asgard 2?

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 5
by my understanding, DAC converts digital to analog so that wave signal can be formed to move the diaphram of the driver.

for sure, integrated audio board must have amp along with DAC.

if you use external amp, you will amp the source twice, increasing the chances of distorting the audio.

you can reduce this distortion effect by usually keeping integrated amp to output not more than 80% of the volume (80% is my reference, so yours may be 60% or more), then fully control the volume with your external amp.

obviously is better to have DAC/amp combo amp for less distortion (lel, double amp words)

(tested with my friend's FiiO Q1 which i can use DAC/amp and also amp only)

im sorry to not able to answer about Magni Uber though (no experiences)

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 5
  On new years I bought an HD 650, been powering it with an on board motherboard amp/dac Realtek ALC1150. 
Can I buy a Magni 2 Uber without a dac and plug it in to the motherboard? Will I have distortion?
Is the Magni 2 Uber a good pairing with the 650?
Should I consider the Asgard 2?

You can use the MU2 without a DAC by connecting it from your computer's analog out. 

There will be some noise and limited sound quality playing from your motherboard,which is why many of us opt for a DAC.

The MU2 will drive the HD650,but the 650 is one of those HPs that scale very well with better gear,but to begin the MU2 is fine if thats all you can afford.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 5

Very likely you will have distortion. However, barring a really bad circuit, "will you hear/identify that it is distortion?" would be a better question, and honestly the best way to get to an answer is for you to compare that set up with and without a DAC between the motherboard and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back