Do I need a DAC?
Jan 21, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Monday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if that's true then my Dell is just that much worse lol. I can't wait to hear my music through a proper DAC though

You are correct, the onboard (standard) on dell's is about as bad as it gets.
In my humble opinion. The nugorce udac is a good place to start, allowing you to upgrade the amp section later, however, the udac is hugely popular, it is often out of stock.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Monday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay thanks! It's good to get some confirmation. There's just so much information haha

I'm thinking about getting the musiland 02 us. People seem to really like that one.

If you were considering the Musiland, and could stretch your budget a bit, get the Maverick Audio D1. I own it and I really really like it. It works with a whole ton of phones, has a crapload of inputs, a decent headamp, a great DAC, tube pre-out functions, etc. uDac is great, but Mav serves you better in the long run in my opinion (uDac has a great DAC, but only USB inputs, only 16bit, and a subpar headamp compared to the Maverick).

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were considering the Musiland, and could stretch your budget a bit, get the Maverick Audio D1. I own it and I really really like it. It works with a whole ton of phones, has a crapload of inputs, a decent headamp, a great DAC, tube pre-out functions, etc. uDac is great, but Mav serves you better in the long run in my opinion (uDac has a great DAC, but only USB inputs, only 16bit, and a subpar headamp compared to the Maverick).

I don't know. I was already kinda stretching my budget with the musiland. I'm pretty new to all this and this will be my first DAC purchase. I think I might be better off with something cheaper just to test the waters or whatever. All my music is 16bit and my headphones don't really need an amp. I think the uDAC is enough for me at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #20 of 21
uDAC is a good choice, esp. for those senn phones, imho. The hotaudio dac-extasy is 24-bit for more "future proofing" and even better sounding, but a little bit more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back