Do I need a DAC between my iPhone and my 64 Audio Custom a12t IEMs?
Jan 12, 2024 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Clay49

100+ Head-Fier
I use my IEM‘s when I lead worship, but I also enjoy listening to TIDAL Hi-Rez files when I’m driving to and from work, and I just use a standard lightning jack that has a 3.5mm female receptacle into which I plug my IEMs.

Would I enjoy greater clarity from my listing experience if I attached some sort of DAC between the phone and my IEMs? If so, would love some recommendations.

Thank you!

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 4
For me, the standard iPhone dongle is already pretty decent. Definitely there will be improvements by using a DAC, but unless you're exclusively listening out for nuances in the music, I don't think the difference is that massive, especially if you're listening while focusing on something else (driving). Though if you also spend a lot of time listening to music on its own, I definitely recommend one. The lack of noise and distortion you get by using one is really good.

Regarding what I'd recommend in 2024, I think it's better if someone with a more recent knowledge of the new DACs come up with a recommendation :)

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 4
The dongle you are using IS a DAC, converting digital (USB) to analog (headphone out). If it's the little white $9 Apple dongle, it's very accurate.

Considering road noise and the attention you are (I hope) paying to the road, a fancier DAC is unlikely to make much difference. If you're not getting enough volume you could add an amp, or switch to more sensitive IEMs, but the ones you have are low-impedance and very sensitive already.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back