Do I need a DAC/Amp?? (quiet hiss)
Aug 13, 2009 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Corvin25

New Head-Fier
I just got my Grado SR-325is in the mail, and although the sound quality is stellar, I have a bit of a problem. Since I can hear almost any detail, I am starting to hear unpleasant things as well.

There is a soft hiss... but it is *NOT* constant.

When there is no sound being played, all I hear is complete silence, which is good. But when I start to play an mp3, I start to hear a mild "hissing" when it reaches a reasonably loud volume. No sound... silence. Some sound: hiss. It does the same thing with my old SR-80s.

This hiss happens primarily with my .flac files, and mp3s, of course. It's not NEARLY as common when I play video games like WoW, and the like.

With CDs and mp3/flac files, is it normal to hear a bit of hiss on the tracks? Are they part of the actual recording? I can understand that on older music from vinyl records and such, but not from brand new albums. Is this hiss something to indicate that I'm playing my music too loud?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm totally new to the whole audiophile scene.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 2
haha. i get the same hiss thing when i listen to my ipod using my sennheiser hd 280 pro. what i did to solve my problem temporarily is adjust the eq to my player, such that the treble isn't too prominent. it's free. but of course, getting an amp would be better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back