Do I need a Dac/Amp combo or just an amp?
Apr 15, 2017 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

audioanon

New Head-Fier
I have decided to start a new thread to simplify things and because I have made a decision that changes the game from my first thread.

I have concluded that it is absurd to chase ghosts in headphones, especially for a one time use. I have decided to take my Senn HD518s with me to listen to music on my laptop. However, the question of sound comes into play.

I will be using a windows 10 laptop with standard sound card built into the motherboard. I will be listening to assumed "lossless" files (wav and FLAC) and CD, (no Hi-rez, DSD, MQA, no streaming, etc.) Having the desire for a more balanced sound over the tiny bit too warm Sennheiser sound I experience with my HD518 and though my laptop probably will have no problem driving my cans, I realize that amplification can only help.
However, the question is how much more would a dac help? 
So while a Dac/Amp combo will cost a little bit more, it can still be had for well south of $100. The question is can I get away with just an amp or would a dac/amp combo open up a whole new world so to speak?
My current choices for amps and dac/amp combos that I am aware of are:

SMSL SD793-II PCM1793 DIR9001
SMSL Audio M2
CMOY Amp
Creative Soundblaster E1
Audio Technica AT-PHA10
FiiO E10K
FiiO Q1
FiiO A3
Topping NX2

I'm wanting something that just gets power from plugging into USB or something, not anything requiring an A/C outlet. I think all the ones I listed meet that requirement.
I will be keeping whatever amp I get as there may be other uses for it afterwards.
So should I narrow it down to getting a Dac/Amp combo or will anything on that list do the job?

Thank you.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 9

I'm wanting something that just gets power from plugging into USB or something, not anything requiring an A/C outlet. I think all the ones I listed meet that requirement.

I'd get the Q1 since the USB cable that recharges it from the laptop's USB port (or from a separate charger if you're charging when not in use) will also carry a digital audio signal, so all you need is one USB cable (maybe get one with Ferrite cores just in case). You can just disable charging when in use and full - there's a switch on the back of the Q1.

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 9
I own the HD 598 and really really like them with one of my usb dacs which is kind of a Micca Origen clone, which looks like this:

https://www.amazon.de/InLine-AmpUSB-Kopfhörer-Verstärker-Digital-Konverter/dp/B0147RN4JK/ref=pd_sbs_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZZHK1P3RFYVDSP6RJCER

Actually the HD 598 sound pretty amazing with this dac/amp. Very nice instrument separation, very open and airy sound. From memory I recall the HD 518 too be just a tad darker/muddier, but I would imagine that they too would open up quite a bit and would result in a very pleasing listening.
An odac/o2 sounds even better with the HD 598, but costs more aswell.
So although I never heard the "real" thing, Id guess a Micca Origen could be very well worth a look.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 9
  You can consider combo: Objective2+ODAC. I use their headphone amp and it was very good with Grado Sr-60.

I have the Objective2 amp for home and it is indeed very good, but it is not portable (I have the one without battery). I need something powered by rechargeable battery or USB or something.
I don't need a dac.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 9
I don't think I would spend money on a Dac or amp I would change headphones first. Your money would be well more spent on headphones. Dac's and amp's at this price will be a very slight difference.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Agreed. You should take the cash you are going to spend on a dac/amp and put it into new headphones instead. Then, you can look at a dac and amp--in my opinion, that is the way to go first.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 9
I ran an experiment just plugging my Senn HD518s straight into my laptop. The laptop powered them without issue. I pulled up some music (vinyl that I recorded in lossless) and at first it sounded ok, but then I found the EQ in the windows media player and was able to bend my HD518s to my will. Sounded pretty darn good for what will be my use. I don't watch TV or anything, so in my down time on my trip I will be writing and listening to music. I just wanted to get the best sound I could to make it more enjoyable since I am not a fan of headphones and won't go near earbuds or IEMs (one of the worst things ever invented in my opinion). I was just wondering if having an outboard amp would make a notable difference and the consensus is "no". That is what I thought it would be. I think the only time it could make a notable difference is if I was trying to use hard to drive headphones. 
Getting more balanced cans was an original thought before discovering I could change things with EQ on the PC. Is it perfect using the EQ to change the performance of the HD518? No, but it is good enough to pass muster with most self-claimed audiophiles I think of which I am not, so it is better in that case because I am the one listening. Also there is no such thing as perfect in the audio world and no such thing as great headphones. It's really what flavor do you like is what it boils down to.

So I am in agreement not to waste money for a 3 day venture. So I am bringing my HD518s and music on my laptop, it's all I need now that my testing proved good. I have AKG 7XX cans, but I feel they are just ok, but do have a wider stage than the Senns even though both are open. The issue with the AKGs though is that they are power hungry, but more so they require lots of EQ and they are not travel worthy cans. They are more fragile than the plastic Senns. 
I also have Takstar Pro 80s (closed), which I find to perform well above price-point, although my second to least comfortable cans (My Monoprice cans are really uncomfortable) and better sonically than my other two cans with minimal EQ, however they are rare now, not many were made I learned, (you can't get them anymore), so I don't want to bring them.

Thanks for all the advice folks and the solution to do nothing is actually a good one as it save money. If I was really into headphones and lived by them, it would be different, but that will never happen.

Thank you.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 9
  I ran an experiment just plugging my Senn HD518s straight into my laptop. The laptop powered them without issue. I pulled up some music (vinyl that I recorded in lossless) and at first it sounded ok, but then I found the EQ in the windows media player and was able to bend my HD518s to my will. Sounded pretty darn good for what will be my use. I don't watch TV or anything, so in my down time on my trip I will be writing and listening to music. I just wanted to get the best sound I could to make it more enjoyable since I am not a fan of headphones and won't go near earbuds or IEMs (one of the worst things ever invented in my opinion). I was just wondering if having an outboard amp would make a notable difference and the consensus is "no". That is what I thought it would be. I think the only time it could make a notable difference is if I was trying to use hard to drive headphones. 
Getting more balanced cans was an original thought before discovering I could change things with EQ on the PC. Is it perfect using the EQ to change the performance of the HD518? No, but it is good enough to pass muster with most self-claimed audiophiles I think of which I am not, so it is better in that case because I am the one listening. Also there is no such thing as perfect in the audio world and no such thing as great headphones. It's really what flavor do you like is what it boils down to.

So I am in agreement not to waste money for a 3 day venture. So I am bringing my HD518s and music on my laptop, it's all I need now that my testing proved good. I have AKG 7XX cans, but I feel they are just ok, but do have a wider stage than the Senns even though both are open. The issue with the AKGs though is that they are power hungry, but more so they require lots of EQ and they are not travel worthy cans. They are more fragile than the plastic Senns. 
I also have Takstar Pro 80s (closed), which I find to perform well above price-point, although my second to least comfortable cans (My Monoprice cans are really uncomfortable) and better sonically than my other two cans with minimal EQ, however they are rare now, not many were made I learned, (you can't get them anymore), so I don't want to bring them.

Thanks for all the advice folks and the solution to do nothing is actually a good one as it save money. If I was really into headphones and lived by them, it would be different, but that will never happen.

Thank you.

Good on ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back