Do I need a color printer for college?
Sep 3, 2007 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
I start classes tomorrow and realize I don't have a printer? I know each class is different, but in general, will I need to print things out in color? Or do I even need a printer at all?

I was thinking about getting a cheap black and white laser printer. Any suggestions?

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 22
Not much in color, at least when I was in college.
I went to kinkos when I really needed color prints.
But that was long time ago, none of my friends had color printer back then. You may need one at the college, since things could have been changed. Or, you still can ask your friend print colors for you by giving him a can of beer or two.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 22
It's a good idea to have a printer, so that you don't have to depend upon the school's printers working when and where you need them to. I survived four years of undergrad and am going into my fourth year of grad school without a color printer, though. I think a cheap B&W laser is definitely the way to go, as the vast majority of what you'll need to print will be either articles from online databases or your own papers.

I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ML-201.../dp/B0009ZHF2W
and it's worked well for me.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 22
I'd say it depends on your campus. Here, everything is wireless, so I can print to literally hundreds of printers from my dorm room and swing by and pick it up later during the proper hours. However, a decent inkjet (dont bother with laserjets as a student, toner sucks) should run you like $40-60 new.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 22
I don't have a printer at all. It really depends on how convenient the printers are at your school. I usually finish my assignments right before class anyway so I just print them out and run to class.

Save you money on more fun things.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremynwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ML-201.../dp/B0009ZHF2W
and it's worked well for me.

That's what I use, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

A toner cartridge will last a lot longer than an inkjet cartridge and will not dry out if you don't use your printer for an extended period of time. Toner might be more expensive, but it lasts a lot longer than an ink cart. In the long run, a laser printer is likely going to be cheaper to feed.

I don't think most people going through for liberal arts degrees are going to need very much colour printing, and that's why I didn't bother getting a colour printer. For me, a laser printer makes more sense.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 22
I never attended college, but my ex did, she used my printer quit a bit for her projects. She never needed anything to be color as far as I remember.

Also I would suggest sticking with Laser, Inkjet printers are a huge pita imho at least. The inkjet printer run about 60 bucks, but then the ink cartridges run 35-50 depending on the manufacture. When I had inkjet (Lexmark) the cartridges, never lasted, they either dried up from trying to conserve ink or ran out after maybe a 1/4 of a ream.

Now laser on the other hand, I bought mine used years ago (HP Laserjet 2100), and I'm still on the used toner it came with and I've put about 3 reams of paper through it.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 22
yep, laser is the way to go... cheaper in the long run, and faster (which is always good when you are running late for class :p )

i have a Xerox Phaser 3117, and it is very good for what i paid (100 bucks here in Chile... should probably be 60-70 bucks in the US)

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 22
Colour is not needed. Even if, kinkos always works. Laser is much better.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 22
depends on your school, for example everything used to be free on my campus, now they've switched to a 500 page per semester max, so a printer was almost a must for me

that said, given how cheap printers are, unless you have one in your dorm that you have access to at all hours or at least that your roommate has, its probably a good idea to have one

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 22
Graduated about two years ago. CS/MA major with an english minor. In CS/MA almost everything that came from a computer was submitted electronically. Almost everything that came from my english courses required a hard copy + an electronic copy to put up for critique.

If you have anything that actually has to be done in color, then the school will probably make sure you have access to it.

That being said, make sure you have access to at least two printers accessed from a computer via internet access, even if it means driving across down to the 24/7 kinkos. One day it will save your ass.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 22
If you get a printer get a laser. Those freaking bargain inkjet drink more liquid than SUV.
wink.gif

I have a samsung laser 1740 that I got on sale real cheap. My toner has a small plastic cap you just remove and refill.

It cost me $10 on ebay for a 3000 pages worth of powder.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 22
Definitely depends on the school, I went through my 4 years without owning a printer. Recently we don't even print anything anymore, all my professors for the last year or so have requested that assignments be handed in via email or a online classroom as opposed to paper. Haven't printed a assignment in months.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 22
You definitely want to have a printer, but I haven't bought color ink for mine in like 3 years.

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuroyume /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, laser is the way to go... cheaper in the long run, and faster (which is always good when you are running late for class :p )

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I would suggest sticking with Laser, Inkjet printers are a huge pita imho at least. The inkjet printer run about 60 bucks, but then the ink cartridges run 35-50 depending on the manufacture. When I had inkjet (Lexmark) the cartridges, never lasted, they either dried up from trying to conserve ink or ran out after maybe a 1/4 of a ream.

Now laser on the other hand, I bought mine used years ago (HP Laserjet 2100), and I'm still on the used toner it came with and I've put about 3 reams of paper through it.

Both of these advice is WRONG. The ONLY advantage a laser has over an inkjet is weatherability. I.E. the ink wont smear if the object gets wet (flyers, brochures, etc). Your photo quality will be leaps and bounds higher on an inkjet as most lasers dpi is 600x1200, and even your higher end ones, 600x2400...sucky for photos if you're after absolute quality.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...ABA&catLevel=2

Black cartridge is $36 at Officemax. You get 3600 pages out of the XL cartridge, that works out to 1 cent per page. Much cheaper than even a B&W laser, which yields about 6-8 cents per page. It's much costlier to get a laser because the toner is on average $75 and you normally get a page yield under 3K pages on your cheapy printers. And you have to replace the drum every other toner. Even if you get HP's new toners which incorporate the drum in the toner cart, your cost per page is still higher on a laser.

The photo quality on it is great, but it's designed as an office machine. Prints OK photos, but mainly just headers on documents, but your photo printers like:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/p...Q7047A%2523ABA

Yields about 7 cents per page, and prints just as fast, and photo quality is lab quality. Cartridges are only $10 bucks a piece at Officemax, and if you buy the combo pack, which has all 6 colors AND 150 sheets of 4x6 photo paper, it's $36. So it's like you're buying the black cart, photo paper and getting the other 5 carts for free.

All depends on what you want....

I work at Officemax, I deal with printers all day long and answering questions and fitting people to the printers they need. I'm in close touch with the HP reps, and do alot of learning on my own time....those are your best bets...BAR NONE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back