do i need a amp for HD800 , considering my motherboard's sound card ?
Jan 23, 2016 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

OmidelF

100+ Head-Fier
so i have a asus MAXIMUS VIII Hero , and it has a high end sound card , and i was wondering should i still get a amp if i buy a HD800 or my sound card is enough ?

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 18
The HD800 is known for being amp picky, so I'd recommend for you to get an amp that is known to have good synergy with the it. Your sound card has several line-out outputs. That should mean they bypass the internal amp and then you can use the external amp for the best result.
Will the difference be day and night? No, it's likely to be underwhelming for the average consumer considering the price of amps, but to us audio enthusiasts it's that extra bit that makes it all better.

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 18
but is my onboard soundcard good enough to handle it solo ? considering i'm just an average consumer ( no music producer or anything ) and i just listen to normal type of music 
so just buying a HD800 alone and using it with my mainboard's soundcard is enough  to have a great experience with music? becaue i really can't go any further than 1200$

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 18
I couldn't tell about the synergy between your sound card and the HD800, but you could try it without and it's likely to sound good already. If the volume is not enough for you, or if you hear sound distortion at loud volumes, even a 'cheaper' amp like the Objective2 from JDS Labs should be sufficient for your needs. That should be just within your budget.

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 18
  but is my onboard soundcard good enough to handle it solo ? considering i'm just an average consumer ( no music producer or anything ) and i just listen to normal type of music 
so just buying a HD800 alone and using it with my mainboard's soundcard is enough  to have a great experience with music? becaue i really can't go any further than 1200$

This just continues to fascinate me around here.  Spend $1200 for a top-of-the-line headphone and pennies for the DAC and amp.  Someone might have suggested that you spread that $1200 around a bit better than that.

If that's all you could afford for now and are planning to upgrade the rest when you can, that's basic finances and no one would fault you for that.  The fact that you are asking this question implies otherwise, though.
wink.gif

Just a helpful suggestion if you are searching for "a great experience with music," but you might start studying the amplifier threads for the HD800 and set yourself some more goals.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 18

This just continues to fascinate me around here.  Spend $1200 for a top-of-the-line headphone and pennies for the DAC and amp.  Someone might have suggested that you spread that $1200 around a bit better than that.

If that's all you could afford for now and are planning to upgrade the rest when you can, that's basic finances and no one would fault you for that.  The fact that you are asking this question implies otherwise, though.
wink.gif

Just a helpful suggestion if you are searching for "a great experience with music," but you might start studying the amplifier threads for the HD800 and set yourself some more goals.

can you suggest me a good amp with HD800 ?

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 18
  can you suggest me a good amp with HD800 ?

You can try the Asus Xonar STX 2 soundcard. I have the STX and it drives the HD800 100 times better than my Asus Sabertooth 990 FX Rev 2 mainboard. But if you select it, please use the headphone out on the card, bot the front out that can be connected. It is simply much better. The STX has plenty of power to drive the HD800.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #10 of 18

You can try the Asus Xonar STX 2 soundcard. I have the STX and it drives the HD800 100 times better than my Asus Sabertooth 990 FX Rev 2 mainboard. But if you select it, please use the headphone out on the card, bot the front out that can be connected. It is simply much better. The STX has plenty of power to drive the HD800.

i didn't get the last part that you said , i should use what ?

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #11 of 18
  i didn't get the last part that you said , i should use what ?

You should use the headphone out on the STX or STX2.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 18
  Can you suggest me a good amp with HD800 ?

Audio-GD NFB-11, about $400, shipped to your front door.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 18

wink.gif

LOL. My thoughts exactly. Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 18
Been running my HD800s out of my on-board soundcard for a couple of months now and haven't heard any issues. Quite frankly they've gained more from a touch of EQ than from all the amps in the world, but that's just me.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 18
  Been running my HD800s out of my on-board soundcard for a couple of months now and haven't heard any issues. Quite frankly they've gained more from a touch of EQ than from all the amps in the world, but that's just me.

i don't think its about having issue without amp but how about the quality difference ?

do you find any difference with/without amp in quality of music ? ( if the source is high quality enough )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back