Do I ned a headphone amp?
Mar 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DeadMan

100+ Head-Fier
I should have posted on this forum to begin with as it's really the most relevant. Currently I have Sony MDR-ZX700's but will be getting some DT990 Pro or Premiums (not decided yet) 250Ohms cans. My current amp is either the headphone out on my P5Q Deluxe motherboard (I am trying to get Asus to give me the technical specs on that but I don't hold out much hope) or my Sony STR-DB790 surround sound receiver (I also use an iPod Nano 6G on the move). After bugging Sony I finally got them to email the specs for the headphone out.

50 kilo Ohms @ 86 dB (A, 2.5mV). No mention of the THD or which impedance cans are suitable for this amp.

Is this 'good enough' to drive the two sets of cans I mentioned properly or should I be looking at a dedicated DAC like the FiiO E10?

EDIT: I hate it when I mess up the thread title and can't edit it. :p

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

50 kilo Ohms @ 86 dB (A, 2.5mV).

These do not look like relevant specs, so are of no help to determine how good the headphone output of the receiver is. But receivers do often have powerful headphone outputs; however, the disadvantage is that high output impedance is also common. You can only know for sure if you actually try it. The motherboard probably has a Realtek chip that outputs up to about 1.2 Vrms, and the motherboard may also have 75 Ohm serial resistors on the output. It is not quite great, but if you have low demands on the maximum volume and/or dynamic range, and do not mind potentially noisy onboard audio, it might be (just) enough.
The FiiO E10 would be fine for these headphones.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
I should have posted on this forum to begin with as it's really the most relevant. Currently I have Sony MDR-ZX700's but will be getting some DT990 Pro or Premiums (not decided yet) 250Ohms cans. My current amp is either the headphone out on my P5Q Deluxe motherboard (I am trying to get Asus to give me the technical specs on that but I don't hold out much hope) or my Sony STR-DB790 surround sound receiver (I also use an iPod Nano 6G on the move). After bugging Sony I finally got them to email the specs for the headphone out.
50 kilo Ohms @ 86 dB (A, 2.5mV). No mention of the THD or which impedance cans are suitable for this amp.
Is this 'good enough' to drive the two sets of cans I mentioned properly or should I be looking at a dedicated DAC like the FiiO E10?
EDIT: I hate it when I mess up the thread title and can't edit it. :p

How is your computer connected to the Sony?
For around $70 or more, you can get a tube headphone amplifier and hook it up to the Sony's RCA outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back