Do I make the wrong decision?
Jul 20, 2007 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

J_C_Denton1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a laptop with Realtek HD Audio ALC880. So far I have no complain about its SQ. And bought Logitech X-530 5.1 speaker recently.
Although Realtek offer 7.1, the out puts are located on different side of laptop (2 on the right, 2 on the left), so the split speaker cable cannot reach both sides. So I can only connect to one side (the Front & Rear speaker) to the laptop.

Yesterday I decided to order Audigy 2 NX. But after reading review, most people say they cant hear noticable difference between the Audigy and Realtek HD Audio. Whats worse, Audigy uses CPU cycle to decode sounds which means less FPS in games
mad.gif

Do you think I made the wrong decision?

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 7
Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If the goal is easier access to the outputs, then by all means: go ahead. But from a sound quality point of view, the Audigy's aren't that much better than a HD audio chip.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by J_C_Denton1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Although Realtek offer 7.1, the out puts are located on different side of laptop (2 on the right, 2 on the left), so the split speaker cable cannot reach both sides. So I can only connect to one side (the Front & Rear speaker) to the laptop.

Do you think I made the wrong decision?

Hi,

There are cables made with a male RCA on one end and a female RCA on the other end.

The same goes for 3.5mm stereo headphone cables, male on one end, female on the other.

I suspect that was all you really needed.

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 7
I planned to use it for music & games (50:50) but with Audigy eating precious CPU cycle it kind of defeating the purpose. How much resource does it eats up compared to onboard Realtek? (Core Duo 1.6GHz, Memory 1GB)

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 7
It wont use enough for you to notice, especially with a dual core. I think your decision is fine.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 7
If you can return it without a restocking fee, then go ahead. Or eat the fee. Remember, you didn't lose any money. Look-up "sunk cost fallacy."

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 7
You saying PC card bus Audigy for laptop, right?
I am bit skeptical about the sound improvement you will acknowledge.
Listen for yourself and decide what to do. What user5412 said could be a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back