Do I love my Little Dot Micro+ too
Sep 8, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #16 of 22
Just got my LDM+ today, hooked it up and I feel it's lacking bass, I feel it literally reduces the bass! I can hear definitely hear improvements with the mids and highs but there wasn't much improvement in bass. I just don't feel like bass like I do with my living room reciever (Pioneer VSX-84TXSi). I tried hooking the LDM+ to my reciever just for the heck of it and can seriously hear the bass reduction, but the improved mids and highs were there.

I've read somewhere that you have to burn in the amp?

Here's my config X-Fi -> LDM+ -> HD595. I was wondering if it is wise to leave the LDM+ volume on max and use software to control the volume instead of turning the knob on the LDM+ all the time.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #17 of 22
That's normal. The HD595's impedance curve makes for a quite a bit increased bass response when it's driven by a high impedance headphone out - just like that of a receiver or integrated amp. Also with my Pioneer it became (too) bassy.

Sure that the LDM+'s bass will improve a little with burn in - but that's not the main issue. What you're hearing with the LDM+ is the HD595's own freq. response, whereas with the receiver it gets altered. Of course a big solid state home headphone amp would squeeze more bass from the HD595 than the LDM+ ever will. At any rate I don't think it's lacking in bass, after some break in.

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 22
Can I break in the LDM+ using my desktop speakers? I'm using a 5.1 desktop setup and when I hooked up the LDM+ to the front channels it reduced the bass frequency going to my subwoofer! After disconnecting the LDM+ the bass came back.
I'm just curious if this kind of bass drop is normal and what volume should I left the LDM+ at? max volume?

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
Can I break in the LDM+ using my desktop speakers? I'm using a 5.1 desktop setup and when I hooked up the LDM+ to the front channels it reduced the bass frequency going to my subwoofer! After disconnecting the LDM+ the bass came back.
I'm just curious if this kind of bass drop is normal and what volume should I left the LDM+ at? max volume?

It's not clear how you connected it... can you clarify? Especially if it's used as a 'preamp' it shouldn't reduce the bass perceivably at all.

In any event, it is much more effective to burn it in while driving a headphone load - but please not at max volume! A normal listening level will be fine.

Sep 9, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #20 of 22
I using a 5.1 system. My X-Fi has 4 inputs: one for front ch, one for center ch, one for rear ch and one for mic. I was thinking of breaking in my LDM+ like this: X-Fi -> LDM+ -> Front Channel. Of course my center and rear channels would go unamped.

When using this setup: X-Fi -> LDM+ -> Front Channel, I lose alot of the bass going to my subwoofers, I don't know why. If I directly connect (X-Fi -> Front Channel) the bass comes back. I bass I hear after hooking up the LDM+ is not a improvement over the current bass but a reduction of bass. I would understand if the bass was tightened or became more refined, but this is not the case. I definitely hear a reduction of bass when compared to hooking it up directly to the source.

What I meant by max volume was leaving the LDM+ on max volume and using software to control the volume instead. I was wondering would leaving the volume on max on the LDM+ damage it in any way. Because even if the volume is at max on the LDM+ and my software volume is at zero I won't be able to hear anything until I slide my software volume up. Using this method I won't have to always turn the knob on the LDM+ to adjust the volume.

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #21 of 22
Sorry, I'm still unclear. I have no confidence with 5.1 systems & don't know what's the X-Fi.

If you're using the LDM+ merely as a "preamplifier" (no headphones connected), it might well show some kind of 'dysfunctional' behavior since it's not designed for that use. Although I still wouldn't have expected that.

My LDM+ doesn't really cut bass either with the HD650 or with the HD485. It has some pretty tight bass, but that doesn't mean it's attenuated or lacking depth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back