Do I listen to friggin' loud? Do you listen too loud? Why not measure it?
Oct 27, 2016 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20
Okay, I'm starting to get self conscious. Every time I hand a player to someone that I've been listening to, they turn it down. My audiophile friends like @Takeanidea and @pedalhead probably wonder at whether I'm going deaf or something. They turn it down a lot. I don't know if it's that they are older, or if it's that I like to listen too damn loud.

Those who have read my reviews and my about me will know that I like to listen where dynamics peak, and that I volume match headphones at 78dB (usually) up to 82dB using white noise and an SPL meter. My listening level is about equal volume to a busy street, and quieter than the subway. I can attest to both of these. These numbers are within the safe listening range. In fact headphones designed to protect child hearing limit dB levels at 85dB by physician recommendation--it's medical, folks. However, I don't just sit and listen to white noise, so I decided to do some tests on peak dB on other tracks I like.

I did this test using the iBasso DX50 as a standalone DAC, the Vibro Labs Maya as the IEM, and playing tracks with volume leveling on in JRiver Media Centre. Computer volume will be set to max to allow complete control of volume by the iBasso DX50. If I've turned volume leveling off--it often doesn't know what the hell to do with metal--then I've marked this with an X in the third column. I start by setting the volume to 78dB using white noise and my SPL meter. It should also be noted that DSD files can't be volume leveled, so I'll not be playing any of those, no matter how much I love you SACD rip of Wish You Were Here.

TrackApproximate peak observed dBVolume levelling off
Ayre Acoustics - White Noise78.4 
2Pac - God Bless the Dead82.4 
Anamanaguchi - Prom Night90.1 
Amber Rubarth - Washing Day70.6 
Weezer - Across the Sea84.0 
Perturbator - Perturbator's Theme83.3 
Queen - Father to Son87.1 
Charles Mingus - Eat That Chicken84.3 
Kuniko - Pleiades 1. Melanges91.5 
Unleash the Archers - Daughters of Winterstone91.9x

So, looks like I'm not going to murder my eardrums. Those peak levels, with the exception of Unleash the Archers, only lasted for about 1/2 a second each, with average levels being about 10dB to 15dB lower on almost all tracks. Modern tracks lacking in dynamic range had the smallest difference between peak volume and average volume, which is no surprise. When I turned volume leveling off on Unleash the Archers I manually adjusted the volume to where I like to listen, and it was revealing. If I spend all my time listening to metal like Daughters of Winterstone, I might have a problem, but with my eclectic tastes I'm probably all right. On the next track, the volume got too loud on average, so I turned it down.

I'd like to challenge anyone else to do a test similar to what I've done. I know some folks like @Brooko have SPL meters. I think this can be a fun bit of science. Maybe this gets some folks using SPL meters and volume matching down the line. That would be awesome, as knowing comparative listening volumes are really important.

Should this be in the Sound Science forum?

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 20
Interesting post. It is essential we think about our listening levels from time to time. I don't think any of us enthusiasts would be too happy if we get older and can't hear anymore :)

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 20
Micah - I'm away for a week. Will try to remember when I get home. Was your measurement using A or C weighted?

Oct 28, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 20
Micah - I'm away for a week. Will try to remember when I get home. Was your measurement using A or C weighted?

Enjoy your time away. I believe I did A weighting--will check when I get home.

Edit: Yup, it was A weighting. :)

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 20
Is it a hard thing to set up measuring the SPL for your IEMs(and /or headphones)? I've been curious myself... I (think) I'm a relatively low level listener, but I'd like to test it...
I know there are SPL apps, but those are for speakers, aren't they? I did a couple of searches here, but haven't found much useful (unless I'm searching incorrectly.

Thanks

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 20
  Is it a hard thing to set up measuring the SPL for your IEMs(and /or headphones)? I've been curious myself... I (think) I'm a relatively low level listener, but I'd like to test it...
I know there are SPL apps, but those are for speakers, aren't they? I did a couple of searches here, but haven't found much useful (unless I'm searching incorrectly.

Thanks

Jinxy - you need a proper SPL meter (they are relatively cheap) and a coupling tube.  This sort of set-up:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/796996/chapter-2-anatomy-of-a-review-the-equipment#post_12306701

I need to replace the DIY tube with an actual plastic tube at some stage.  For now it is just very heavy paper - lined on the inside with tape, then rolled twice and taped again.  It works well and creates a great seal.

These photos were in relation to something I posted ages ago - and not the same topic

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 20
I'll post something a little more definitive later - I'm using the U6 with Adel tech - but it will give you an idea anyway.

I'm by myself in a quiet house - so this would be normal listening

Pink Floyd The Wall - where many tracks are quite dynamic : ave 58-63 dB, Peaks (biggest so far) 75.2 dB
Sarah Jarosz album Undercurrent : ave 59-66 dB, Peaks (biggest so far) 76.9 dB

I also did Washing Day - and my peak was 65.4 dB

My daughter finds my listening levels too loud 

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 20
  I'll post something a little more definitive later - I'm using the U6 with Adel tech - but it will give you an idea anyway.

Pink Floyd The Wall - where many tracks are quite dynamic : ave 58-63 dB, Peaks (biggest so far) 75.2 dB

That's really helpful...thanks!!

A couple of (hopefully quick) questions...

Which Fiio is that? & what level? (I have the U6 Adel too, but I only have access to a Fiio X1)

In your set up, does the distance from the meter (being different from the distance to your ear) effect the accuracy of the reading, or is there a formula you use to compensate?

Thanks again!

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 20
  Are you allowing direct coupling with the dB meter when testing with in-ears?

In-ear sound pressure relies on direct coupling — no leaks

Thanks, Luke! That was really helpful. I decided to give a go at making another coupler instead of just pressing the tip into the foam ball that came on the SPL tube.

I had another go at making a coupler, and made sure that it sealed. I measured some light cardboard (toilet roll core) to 1cm beyond the end of the SPL tube. I then cut to length and wrapped it tightly around the tube. I taped it on both sides and then wrapped it tightly again. Once I got it really tight, I taped around the outside until it was really firmly secured. I then put an IEM at the end of my coupler. It was too loose, so I added another cardboard layer to the tip of my coupler. Then it was well matched to the tip size.

After doing all this, I measured my white noise. It came out 78db at the volume I had it set at before on the HiFiMAN SuperMini. It would seem that my foam ball was acting like a coupler. When I put foam tips on the reading was really stable, whereas before it fluctuated a bit. This means that the fluctuation was likely mechanical--I wasn't holding the tip square enough to the nozzle. The coupler is definitely easier to do, as the tip will always be in the same position and it doesn't have to be held. I can slide it in the coupler and then use my hands for other stuff. I found that the foamie tips from the Maya tour were the best seal on my coupler.

Thanks again, @Luke Pighetti for your help. There should be some good solid scientific principle in reviewing, and quite often it's sorely lacking. 

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 20
  Yeah if you set the IEM spl in free air or a leaky coupling you'll end up with a reading lower than what your ears will experience.

With a leaky coupling, it was indeed lower, by about 0.3dB on my coupling

Doesn't ADEL lower SPL for the same perceived volume? I thought that was the principle of the technology.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 20
I want a good SPL meter (some have recommended just using an app).

Which is a good one to buy?

Thanks in advance

Thanks glASSmonkey for starting the thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back