Do I have to turn my amp (MPX3) off before changing interconnects?
Dec 17, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 15
Yes, I would recommend that you do so for safety issues (this isn't exclusive to the MPX3 but all amps).

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand1x
Yes, I would recommend that you do so for safety issues (this isn't exclusive to the MPX3 but all amps).

While it might be advisable, but I don't necessarily agree with that. At the Maxi meet we swaped ICs when both units were on and blazing and no one got electrocuted.

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 15
Be sure you have a headphone connected to the amp before turning the amp on and while the amp is on - don't unplug headphones while the amp is on.

Wait at least 3 minutes after turning a tube amp off before turning it on again - to prolong tube life.

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 15
Personally I have tried once to switch interconnects while the MPX3 was working as a preamp to my QUAS SS monoblock poweramps, which were also turned on, and the result was loud pops being heard through my speakers. So no, I certainly dont recommend it. Turn everything off, wait awhile for the tubes to cool down, then plug/unplug whatever you want.

Dec 18, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 15
The way you generally do this with any audio system is when you power it on, the power goes on from the source to the speakers. When turning it off, the power goes off from the amplifiers back to the source. This is to keep potentially damaging pops from being inflicted on the speakers...

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
While it might be advisable, but I don't necessarily agree with that. At the Maxi meet we swaped ICs when both units were on and blazing and no one got electrocuted.

I was referring mainly to the safety of the equipment, but each to his own. I just feel that its not worth risking the damage (though you may which is fine by me, hehe)

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 15
Then maybe I should get Voltron in here, becasue they were both his amps at the time (one has since been sold)
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Then maybe I should get Voltron in here, becasue they were both his amps at the time (one has since been sold)
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure, I mean I personally prefer to turn off the amp when I swap my interconnects but if you think this is a waste of time and so does voltron i'd like to hear what you guys have to say about the topic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 15
I never said it was a waste of time. Howver, I don't think that switching an IC while your amp is on will overtly hurt it.

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand1x

This is my opinion too. I shut down the power to change IC's with any amp I am using. Why risk damage to you or your amp .... period ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back