Do I have tinnitus?
Jan 6, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #16 of 28
It is normal if you're in an anechoic chamber, but other than that is normally not expected.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
It is normal if you're in an anechoic chamber, but other than that is normally not expected.

Indeed, but if it is only noticed in quiet environments and has no accompanying symptoms, then I don't think it is medically significant.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #18 of 28
IIRC i read somewhere that in quiet environments most people suffer from some slight degree of ringing in the ears, i won't worry too much about it unless it starts to affect your work or something. The interesting thing is that only your right ear experiences it.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
hmm.. Interesting graph. According to my test results, I have hearing problems with my left ear above 8Khz. below 8Khz it is fine. wondering if that hearing defect was due to headphones. 

No. It has to be a notch at the 4K frequency.

Jan 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #24 of 28
Yeah, I'll go ask my doctor about my right ear, I'm almost certain my childhood ear infection caused; I remember it being pretty serious and I got a fever to accompany it too.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #25 of 28
Tinnitus is often caused by a mineral deficiency, particularly a deficiency of magnesium and zinc.  It can be caused by ear infections or damage to the ear from listening to music too loud.
Seeing a doctor is the first step. Listening to music at a lower volume, and avoiding IEMs for a while may be prudent.

Magnesium deficiency is very common where people eat mostly processed foods and don't take any nutritional supplements. Good food sources of both magnesium and zinc are nuts and seeds. Sunflower seeds are a good inexpensive source, however all nuts and seeds will be good. If you are a vegetarian or a woman, you should also think about a possible vitamin B12 deficiency.

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #26 of 28

Quote:
Tinnitus is often caused by a mineral deficiency, particularly a deficiency of magnesium and zinc.  It can be caused by ear infections or damage to the ear from listening to music too loud.
Seeing a doctor is the first step. Listening to music at a lower volume, and avoiding IEMs for a while may be prudent.

Magnesium deficiency is very common where people eat mostly processed foods and don't take any nutritional supplements. Good food sources of both magnesium and zinc are nuts and seeds. Sunflower seeds are a good inexpensive source, however all nuts and seeds will be good. If you are a vegetarian or a woman, you should also think about a possible vitamin B12 deficiency.

I've had Tinnitus for years but have never heard of the mineral deficiency angle....I'll have to read up on that one!

Edit:  I guess this has come up here before:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/134999/magnesium-lowered-my-tinnitus

This just shows you can learn anything you need to know on Head-fi (not just the quickest way to blow all of your money).

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #27 of 28

Quote:

I've had tinnitus from a concert I went to 6 years ago.  It has long been faded and I can only hear it faintly, but I haven't really noticed it in the past few years.  Recently I got my VSonic GR07 and been listening to them a lot.  Never at a loud level since I already learned my lesson and never wanted the bad ringing again.  Sometime last week, I started getting a massive ringing in my right ear.  I don't know where it came from since nothing out of the ordinary happened.  It has only gotten worse and the ringing was just obnoxious.  So I have talked to an audiologist and an ENT doctor and they said my hearing was perfect and they have no clue.  

I'm very curious if the magnesium deficiency is a problem, since I eat a lot of processed foods and stopped taking supplements recently.  I really hope my headphones are not the cause of this cause they sound so amazing.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #28 of 28
The worst case of tinnitus is when you are in a quiet, calm room and instead of hearing ringing, you hear Ricky Martin. Nonstop Ricky Martin. 
triportsad.gif

A doctor may help, but he can only do so much. Beware Ricky Martin! 
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back