Do I have fake JBL Reference 220's?
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xboa2000

New Head-Fier
I bought JBL Reference 220s from a dealer on Amazon. The box looks like this (not an actual picture of mine, but it looks exactly the same except for the sticker)
jbl3ex3.jpg

However, when I opened the box, all that was included were the phones and the ear hooks. No tips, carrying case, adapters. I emailed the dealer and they said they would ship me the rest free of charge. To me, the headphones themselves appear genuine, but I could use some help. Here's what I can describe about them:

They look like the one in the left in this picture, with the dark mesh

Once again, they look like the one on the left, with a soft material covering the opening instead of a metal grill:

The ear hooks look like neither of these, they are the color of the ones on the left, but with no JBL logo. I'm guessing they are fake, but I don't really care because I'd never use them anyway:

Lastly, they look like the original in this picture:

Since the box appears to be genuine and so does the manual and papers it came with, I have a feeling that a company in China (there is a sticker on the package that says Thinking on it and some Chinese writing) is repackaging these headphones without all the accessories or something.

One last question that I really need to know the answer of:
When I compare these to Creative EP-630s (which I know are genuine), the EP-630s are louder. I set my MP3 player to a certain volume and switch between both pairs, and the JBLs are not as loud. Also, the EP-630s have more bass. While I know EP-630s are bass-heavy, are they more bass-heavy than the JBL 220s? I thank anyone who responds to my thread because I really have no idea what to do. If these JBLs are fake, they are very convincing and I have no way of telling if they are fake short of comparing the sound quality to another pair, or taking them apart.

Edit:
JBL apparently has a product registration page on their website. If I try to register these and succeed, would it be an indicator to whether they are genuine or not?

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 6
I have had the vibes which people say are identical to the JBLs. When I compared it to my ep630s, JBLs were no doubt quieter and less involving and engaging if you get my drift. It wasnt the sound I hoped for as an upgrade from the ep630s and due to the low sensitivity, 630s needs less power to output sound. As a result, there is more bass, treble and isolation and I dont really know why people dont like them. I finally kept the 630s and the c551s. I still settle with my 630s in most situations and I am selling my pair of c551 so if anyone wants, they can try them.

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you very much for your response, M2. That's exactly how I feel about the 220s. I am having trouble deciding on which to keep, since the 220s don't really sound better to me. If I can make sure that the 220s are real, I will probably keep them though. I got them both for about 30 bucks, and the only advantage the 220s have to me (this is going to sound dumb) is that the wire is nicer. I actually like the construction of the EP-630s more otherwise.

Another thing I noticed. If I look through the grill on the outside, I can see solder points like the original in this picture:

If they are indeed real, why the hell did I receive nothing but the IEMs and hooks in the package? If they are fake, nobody has discussed these particular fakes on the internet before because the IEMs themselves pass all the comparisons based on appearance I have found so far.

Any additional input is appreciated, especially comparisons between the EP-630s and JBL 220s.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 6
I just registered the questionable JBL's on JBL's website. Weird...

I look through the grill, and the PCB looks like a genuine one like this picture, but the top part of it is red.

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by xboa2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any more ideas? It looks like this thread is pretty much me talking to myself.

Try talking to the JBL? If you ask politely it may tell you it's secret?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back