Do I get to join the AT Woody club?
Mar 11, 2008 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Akathisia

500+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a set of AudioTechnica ATH-EW9's from MicroCenter for a disgustingly good price and all I have to say is - this is what classical should sound like, eargasmic.

As a warning to prevent gotta-have-its that are prevalant here on Head-Fi : These cans were not made to rock. They do not have the bass for rock/metal/electronica/hip-hop music and seem extremely anemic when they are presented with anything from those genres. That being said, throw any classical or opera at them and you will be amazed.

Having come from headphones that seem geared for pop/rock sound (k240S, DT770, etc.), these have finally made me realize how good classical can sound. The soundstage is ridiculous for such a small headphone (don't let pictures fool you, they are much smaller than a KSC75), and the detail is the best I have heard from my limited sampling of head-fidelity. The bass doesn't seem limited with orchestrated music, it seems tight controlled and... realistic. These headphones are very determinated to only sound good with a limited genre of music, but they do it passionately.

So, enough gushing, I have 2 questions :

1. How much do these benefit from an amp? I have been running these straight out of my 3rd gen iPod Nano with 320kbps mp3 and I am finally thinking lossless is in my future. I can only imagine what a top quality portable amp could do for these.

2. Where do AudioTechnica's woody headphones go from here? Do they retain this amazing realism for classical. With classical and opera sounding this good, I might have to do some serious CD shopping, and if the W1K/5K sound this good, I may never listen to anything else again
eek.gif

So, proudly wearing my "Sovereign" Hokkaido cherry housings, can I join the AT woody club?

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, enough gushing, I have 2 questions :

1. How much do these benefit from an amp? I have been running these straight out of my 3rd gen iPod Nano with 320kbps mp3 and I am finally thinking lossless is in my future. I can only imagine what a top quality portable amp could do for these.

2. Where do AudioTechnica's woody headphones go from here? Do they retain this amazing realism for classical. With classical and opera sounding this good, I might have to do some serious CD shopping, and if the W1K/5K sound this good, I may never listen to anything else again
eek.gif

So, proudly wearing my "Sovereign" Hokkaido cherry housings, can I join the AT woody club?

1. They don't.

2. I owned W5000 and EW9 for a while, settled with ESW9, maybe will get W5000 again if I have a use for a home headphone system. If you think EW9 sounds good, move up the chain, all the good stuff is preserved, improved, and then more is added.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

...they are much smaller than a KSC75

I can't believe that. Are you sure?
confused.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. They don't. [in regards to improvement with an amplifier]

That's good to know. I can save the several hundred I would have spent on a fancy portable towards a high end woody!

So how would you compare the ESW9 to the W1000 or W5000? Audiocubes has the ESW9 listed for $299, but a fullsize phone is tempting as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pics man, we've gotta have pics.
biggrin.gif

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

Sorry, I'm no photographer
redface.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Netminder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome first pic! What kinda pipe is that?

Thanks, it's a Verona. I am lucky to have a really incredible Cigar and Tabac on my way home from work. Smoking a pipe makes me feel like a bit of an idiot since I'm only 23, but there is nothing like enjoying a nice bowl of 'Academy' late at night.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe that. Are you sure?
confused.gif

Oh my. Shot myself in the foot! I thought we're talking about ATH-ESW9 woodies here. My bad, apologies for not believing.
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my. Shot myself in the foot! I thought we're talking about ATH-ESW9 woodies here. My bad, apologies for not believing.
tongue.gif

Haha, no harm no foul.

Nobody here is into these little guys? I found a thread by someone else saying these had no highs or lows... I think they were having fit issues, very important with these AT's (and most headphones at that!).

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Thanks, it's a Verona. I am lucky to have a really incredible Cigar and Tabac on my way home from work. Smoking a pipe makes me feel like a bit of an idiot since I'm only 23, but there is nothing like enjoying a nice bowl of 'Academy' late at night.

I used to smoke a pipe during my freshman year in college. Wife made me quit (girlfriend at the time, of course). Enjoy the tabac.

Oh, and congrats on the new woodies. They do look tiny.

Nylan

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 20
Hi Akathisia, good choice you've made, clearly a sign of refined taste! :wink:

I use them too (less then a week though) and like them a lot.
They fit excellent for me, but I do find the frequency response to be unbalanced. Actually I use massive amounts of equalization, see attached image. Of course that would just be what I prefer, just saying it's possible to fix the sound because they can handle it..

I'm into them.
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 20
congratulations, they look really awesome! wooden clip-ons are very cool. although i couldn't quite figure out how you are supposed to wear them, they seem a lot more complex than other clip-ons like Koss KSC75. can someone shed some light on this for me? :p

BTW, how much did you pay for them? you mentioned they were cheap..

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 20
Laowi...hope that is unamped. If so, it looks like you can benefit by getting a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back