Do I Even Need a Dedicated Sound Card for my PC?
Apr 18, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #19 of 38
external units are preferable over a onboard soundcard because like other said,the computer is not the most silent enviroment to say the least,so its better to take the audio processing outside of the computer box.  the computer will be used as a transport for the digital bits only,so no need to worry to much about noises and stuff like that.     the better the dac unit,the better the sound will be. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #20 of 38
As long as people are careful when building their machines, noise and hums of the such won't be an issue.

OBAMANIZER, if you game, you go internal, namely Creative.

riffer, you are wrong, onboard is bad, worse than expected with only price going for it, which isn't near enough to justify using that mess.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #21 of 38
If you get an X-Fi card, its DSPs like Dolby Headphone and what not can still be used with an external setup later.

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #22 of 38
Contrary to popular belief, onboard isn't always horrible. The Conexant audio on the ThinkPad T510 is actually quite good, although it is underpowered and with some rolloff in the extremes. I can't say if it really outputs 44.1 kHz audio or resamples, however.

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #23 of 38
Let me rephrase it. Run away from onboard audio as the devil runs from the cross. ALL onboard audio is horrendous. At the price even the lowest end dedicated soundcards are, there is no point in having such low standards as onboard.

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #24 of 38

Quote:
Let me rephrase it. Run away from onboard audio as the devil runs from the cross. ALL onboard audio is horrendous. At the price even the lowest end dedicated soundcards are, there is no point in having such low standards as onboard.

x2

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #26 of 38
Have you tried every single onboard audio solution?

Didn't think so.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 38

Quote:

Didn't think so.

Of course not. If I have heard plenty of crummy onboard audio chips? Certainly. At my home there are 2 laptops with Conexant onboard chips, I've heard 3 other different Conexant models, not to mention the plethora of Realteks, IDTs, VIAs, etc, etc, etc.

Stop giving bad advices.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #28 of 38

Quote:

riffer, you are wrong, onboard is bad, worse than expected with only price going for it, which isn't near enough to justify using that mess.

I suppose I would have a better leg to stand on if I used my own onboard sound :)

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #29 of 38

Quote:
I suppose I would have a better leg to stand on if I used my own onboard sound :)

Again, it's due to having very low prices for entry level soundcards, that by themselves are miles ahead of the best of the worst (onboard)
wink.gif
Honestly, using onboard and being on Head-Fi seems kind of a paradox.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #30 of 38

Quote:

Didn't think so.

It's not like the good ones will be able to compete with good soundcards or anything with all the compromises they make in their design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back