Do human ears get burned in?
May 23, 2007 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
My question is this:

An infant is born. After a few months, the baby's ear drums is utilized more and more. Since the inner ear parts have been working for a few months after birth, the ear drum is probably more limber and more flexible.

Do you think that an infant's ear gets burned in and the hearing quality gets better after birth?

May 23, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 21
transistors, then capacitors, then amps, then headphone drivers, then cables, and now human ears?
plainface.gif

May 23, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 21
yeah... its recommended to keep ears turned on 24/7 for about 250 hours to achieve maximum performance.

May 23, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 21
Well, they certainly can go deaf... does that count?

- lk

May 23, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 21
Weird.
My google ad telss me something about curing eczema
Quote:

Moms Eczema Cure
Mother discovers product to heal eczema in 48hrs. Amazing Pictures
www.freederm.com

Maybe the google bot assumes we are burning babies, might get second thoughts and need something to heal the scorched skin .........

On topic:
Yes, ears do burn in.
People living in a quiet environment are less sensitive to low SPL.
Unbelievable but true.
Somewhat counterintuitive, but scientifically proven.

May 23, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird.
My google ad telss me something about curing eczema

Maybe the google bot assumes we are burning babies, might get second thoughts and need something to heal the scorched skin .........

My doctor prescribed me Nexium to treat heart-burn. I still keep a box handy in case it returns.

Cheers!

May 23, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 21
I wouldn't say they burn in as much as they respond to changes. Like vision adjustment, and same goes for anything else, the larger the difference the more it is perceived within a time period, after enough time you normalize to your new surroundings, that's why after you listen to closed phones at a low volume and take them off you are more aware of noises.

May 23, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 21
Yes. You can't know what you don't know. Until you've actually *heard* better sound, you are working on faith that it exists. Ears are like any muscle, it takes time and experience to build them up. The more equipment you swap in and out of your system, the better you'll get at spotting differences between them, and judging which is "best".

May 23, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 21
Speaking in general terms, there's two components to consider. You can split them into the conductive and sensory/neural component. The conductive part (pinna, eardrum, ossicles, round/oval windows) probably gets worse with age and with noise-induced hearing loss. I think any 'burn-in' happens with the sensory/neural or perceptive component. With practice and experience you should be able to hear things that others don't. Of course this is limited by the conductive component.

The eardrum has cells that keep dying and multiplying, so it doesn't have the fixed property of, let's say, a plastic membrane.

I don't know how well infants can hear after birth, the stuff I typed above applies to adults more than babies.

May 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 21
"Burn-in"
smily_headphones1.gif
lol! Burn-in....
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back