Do high-end RCA connectors make a difference?
Jan 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Icenine2

Headphoneus Supremus
Do any of these high-end(EXPENSIVE) RCA connectors make a difference in SQ?  I have humble Cardas on my IC's.  I am extremely skeptical here which is the reason I didn't get the more expensive offerings on my Moon IC's.  I will fully admit they look much cooler.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 9
There are two things to note about cables:

1.)  They are the one item that have the highest markup value in retail so they are often sold with little knowledge about whether the cable actually measures to be any better than another cable.  I hear people trying to up sale cables all of the time without giving proof of why the more expensive cable will be better for the user.

2.)  Cable quality including sound quality does matter and vary from cable to cable.  There are people like Tyll Hertens that hear slight differences between various cables.  I have not done the testing myself, but I do not know that I would rather error on the side of quality when it comes to any piece of audio equipment.  Note how I did not say cost, but quality. 

A cheap cable may be wired wrong, wrought with grounding issues, and may flat out be faulty.  A good cable company will test their cables for a number of things like pin-outs, cross talk, noise, and voltage drop per unit length.

Be warned that this topic is very controversial, but as a physicist I can see how quality and especially impedance in a cable could affect the sound quality of a system.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks.  I get the whole cable debate.  This is about RCA connectors.

Cardas $11

WBT copper $70/pair

WBT Silver $170/pair

Eichmann Silver Bullet $140/set of 4

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Do any of these high-end(EXPENSIVE) RCA connectors make a difference in SQ?  I have humble Cardas on my IC's.

Most likely no. Except those WBT Silver plugs. The tarnish might eventually result in a faulty electrical connection. That will definitely affect sound quality.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 9
You have to watch good at the the size from male and female, but wbt , just the cheap ones are perfect
The cheapones which project puts in their pre-amps: the four on a piece of plastic for pcb- use measure worse the same ones, 5 euro more expensive , which are way better built with a lot more metal.
Besides that i have except the real cheap , measured a higher cap. and restistance, but those are the ones which comes standard with cheap stuff. Above 15 euro per two cables i've never measured a thing worth noticing. But that was not for example , close to emi rfi gear, then i'm sure the shielded one will have less distortion, but the sockets itself:nahhhh , is more the looks you pay for.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 9
  Do any of these high-end(EXPENSIVE) RCA connectors make a difference in SQ?  I have humble Cardas on my IC's.  I am extremely skeptical here which is the reason I didn't get the more expensive offerings on my Moon IC's.  I will fully admit they look much cooler.

I just use Amphenols for all my plugs when I reterminate or have cables made. The fit is tight enough to inspire confidence over hardware store cables, but when I pull them out it doesn't result in a struggle like what I had to deal with on the Neutrik Profi RCA's, which also scratched up my RCA terminals.

Those Cardas are already almost double the price of the Amphenols BTW.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 9
For sure i can say: replace the plastic pcb mounted allways for 10euro ones, not the 2 euro ones which wait nothing, but wbt is overkill. Hi end is bs, i have my master micro electronics and normal ofc has 1% advantage on standard copper and the superofc, which has zero use is only meant for liquid hydrogen and enbryo's , made for medical use. Total waste of money but the just believe in it. Especially with headgear it doesn't give a crap, normal your ear doesn't receive the sound that way, it's all munipulated, why care that much, since cans never sound good, which i mean natural. Everybody wants the best connection, but nobody uses flat sounding/real headphone amps.... so why bother about a connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back