Do high-end players require an amp?
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Audiophile_Apprentice

100+ Head-Fier
For years I've used an iMod with a Pico Slim and love the sound. If I were to upgrade to a top-tier Astell and Kern or Sony, would I still need the amp? Would it even be possible/advisable to use it with one of these new players? Very confused on this when it comes to going from iPod to an audiophile player.

My headphones are Grado SR225e and Ety ER4-XR, so it's not a matter of power.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 4
you won't need an additional amp to drive these headphones you listed properly as there is a dedicated amp stage (on most modern players). Sony players are the unknown because they are voltage limited on the output (unless bypassed with software tweak). But Hiby, Ibasso, Cayin should be able to drive grados and IEMs with absolute ease.

But you may miss the characteristics of the amp you're used to (headamp pico). in that case, ensure the player also has a line out function so you can still use your old amp if you so choose.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you. I’ve learned a whole lot about headphones and amps, but I’m completely lost on source gear when it comes to a total switch. I turned my teenage iPod 5G into a respectable iMod but I fee like it might not have too much left after the 7th battery and 2nd HDD...

Jun 27, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you. I’ve learned a whole lot about headphones and amps, but I’m completely lost on source gear when it comes to a total switch. I turned my teenage iPod 5G into a respectable iMod but I fee like it might not have too much left after the 7th battery and 2nd HDD...
Put a Tarkan Iflash in it and use a SD card or cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back